Upgrading problems (also solved but but)

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

eskimo68

Upgrading problems (also solved but but)

Post by eskimo68 »

Finally switched from WIN10 to WIN11.

Realized my textpad license was quite old so I upgraded to textpad 9.3.0 at the same time (buying a license I mean).

Since it was not smooth I'll go through the process. Also a few questions at the end.

Just installed TP9 on top of TP7.
Preferences did not stay, uhum.
Associations stopped working, or clicking on a txt file brings up a blank window. No document.
Just opening TP brings up a new document. Uh oh.
Uninstalled TP7 and TP9, installed TP9 as admininistrator just in case.
Still, notepad replaced ok but blank window.
&/)(&%¤ :D
Uninstalled, ripped out all helios and textpad references with regedit (except dat_auto_file which I had no idea about what it is).
Now after installing the associations worked ok. A bit baffled here, also far too much work ;) .

Just saying, upgrading leaves something to be desired these days.

Also, there still is no export preferences and easy import preferences? Might work when upgrading too :) .

Earlier clicking on different text files opened each file in it's own textpad. Now everything ends up in the same instance (which I really hate as I close it by mistake far too often). I have allowe multiple instances in preferences and been trying a bit of this and that so either this is a bug or some WIN11 forced behaviour? But it's not like having many instances in the taskbar, it's getting files opened in the same instance that bugs me.

But have been using textpad for so many years and it always has what I need (somewhere) so happily continuing to buy a license.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading problems (also solved but but)

Post by bbadmin »

Sorry you've been having problems.

TextPad only transfers from the previous major release, when upgrading. You could uninstall v9, install and run v8 to get your v7 config, then install and run v9.

Windows 11 prefers that you make associations in File Explorer, rather than in each application. However, if you made them in v7, the above process should make them work in v9.

The option to start with a new document is on Configure/Preferences/General.

It's not possible to replace Notepad in Windows 11. MS probably did this as they've made it an app that can be downloaded from their Store.

This post explains how to backup or transfer the config files.

Hope this helps.
eskimo68

Post by eskimo68 »

Ah, should pay more often :D . Also must have been very tired to to find stuff under roaming.

Replacing notepad seems fine.

The only remaining problem is that even though "Allowe multiple instances to run" is checked, everything ends up in the same textpad instance. Which I close by mistake far too often being used to have separate instances for each file for clarity.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

eskimo68

Post by eskimo68 »

Now it works better thanks...

(note to self, don't solve problems around midnight, especially with reg files and having apps installed to drive F :) ).