Search Results & Tool Output as Dockable output windows settings becoming unticked occasionally

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Phillip Eaton

Search Results & Tool Output as Dockable output windows settings becoming unticked occasionally

Post by Phillip Eaton »

I seached this forum and found several messages referencing this problem up to around 2013.

I was experiencing this in v6.5 and it appears the problem is still around in 8.16.0 I'm now using.

Any chance of a fix?

(I'm still seeing several bug reports for v9.x so I haven't upgraded yet.)

Thanks!
AmigoJack

Re: Search Results & Tool Output as Dockable output windows settings becoming unticked occasionally

Post by AmigoJack »

It would drastically help to reconstruct that behavior step by step. You experienced this often enough, yet no pattern emerges on how and when this occurs?
Phillip Eaton

Re: Search Results & Tool Output as Dockable output windows settings becoming unticked occasionally

Post by Phillip Eaton »

I can't pinpoint a pattern off the top of my head, but it might be when I modify other settings, such as keyboard mappings.

Alternatively, it might be after the OS does a force-close on the app, e.g. for a Windows Update reboot.

Something that doesn't help highlight the issue is that I rarely close the editor, I just leave it open and put the PC on standby overnight, so I make changes to the config that cause the issue to happen, but I might not notice it for another week or two.

Nonetheless, I think the editor has been restarted when the docking checkboxes become unchecked.

I'll keep an eye on it and try to connect what was changed before the checkboxes change.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Most changes to settings are only persisted when TextPad closes. It may not have time to do that when Windows reboots. Could that be the reason?
Phillip Eaton

Post by Phillip Eaton »

That's good information to know, though I doubt it's that, I reckon I've manually restarted Textpad enough times to get the setting locked in. I'll bear it in mind.

One scenario I thought of that might contribute; I set my command line git config to use Textpad instead of the default editor and that always runs up a separate instance of Textpad, even though I've configured Textpad to run in a single instance only.
Phillip Eaton

Post by Phillip Eaton »

This problem has never gone away for me.

Now it would seem that the program is not saving the rogue setting at all!

Here's a video of it happening:
https://youtu.be/eYFi7qKgRbs

If you would like me to do any tests, I am happy to.

Thanks for reading.