Class names cannot contain unprintable characters error

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

twa_priv

Class names cannot contain unprintable characters error

Post by twa_priv »

After upgrading to the latest version 8.13.0 I am getting the following error after opening Preferences and clicking on Document Classes:

Class names cannot contain unprintable characters, backslashes, nor start with spaces

I am unable to Cancel out of the Preferences dialog once this error is shown and the only solution is to kill the Textpad process.

Note that this was working fine with all prior versions including 8.12.0
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

If you want to investigate you can find ConfigState.xml in your folder %appdata%\Helios\TextPad\8 (just paste that directly into the File Explorer's path line - it should become something like C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\8) and sense that under <Document-Classes> each occurance of <class name=" stores a document class name. Inspect those for said errors.

Since not all characters can be visualized you should also inspect that file either with a hex editor (or opening it in binary mode in TextPad), or at least enable "View > Visible Spaces" from the menu.
twa_priv

Post by twa_priv »

Thanks AmigoJack. No luck though. None of my classes have any unprintable characters, backslashes or start with spaces.

TextPad support - can you please help here? This issue started with the latest version. Also, I haven't added any document classes in a long time.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Please contact technical support about this issue using the form at:

https://www.textpad.com/emailus
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

twa_priv wrote:Thanks AmigoJack. No luck though. None of my classes have any unprintable characters, backslashes or start with spaces.

TextPad support - can you please help here? This issue started with the latest version. Also, I haven't added any document classes in a long time.
I had the same issue. What I did was manually remove all the classes from ConfigState.xml, then add them back one at a time until I found the offending one.

FYI: TextPad will complain if your class name contains a space, not just starts with one.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

This is fixed in release 8.14.2 which is now available for download.