Change Default to always list all files

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

PhilKE3FL

Change Default to always list all files

Post by PhilKE3FL »

I want to see ALL files in the folder when I click on File / Open. At present when I'm in a TXT file it only lists the *.txt files. How do I change this to default to showing all files in the present folder?
Phil KE3FL
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

In the Open File(s) dialog, to the right of the File Name text box, is a drop-down list. If it has an All Files (*.*) entry, select it.

If the drop-down list doesn't have an entry like that, add it in Configure | Preferences | File Name Filters and then select it in the Open File(s) dialog.
PhilKE3FL

Open File(s)

Post by PhilKE3FL »

Ben, thanks for your response.

When I try to open a file, I know I can select "All Files *.*" but I want that to be the default in that drop down. The present DEFAULT file list is always based on, "Text File *.txt" which, when I'm looking for *.cmd or *.bat, or some other text type file without a txt extension, is annoying. It means that I have to go & change to *.* and I have to do that every time I try to list and see the non txt extension files. I can simply start typing the name of the file but if I get the first letter wrong I won't find the file I'm interested in.

What I want is that "All File(s) *.*" is in that drop down already as the DEFAULT file type. I want to see, in my files list of files to be opened, ALL files in the folder I am in. I want this every time I start TextPad, I want All File(s) *.* as the DEFAULT to list ALL the files in the folder I am in.
Phil KE3FL
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

For me "*.*" is the default filter. TextPad seems to remember the filter you last used (but only when you actually opened a file). In my case, that's always "*.*", as I never change it.
PhilKE3FL

Right You Are!

Post by PhilKE3FL »

Thanks Ben, I did that & then closed TextPad & opened it again & then *.* was the default. I remember tripping over something that caused *.* to be my default but couldn't remember what it had been.

I fall into the trap of only closing the laptop & never ever exiting TextPad so I must have changed to see only the TXT files at one point & then closed TextPad & it saved that default.

I'm back to *.* now!
Phil KE3FL
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

I'm glad that's sorted.

(Of course, "*" will do it. DOS died a long time ago.)