How to configure white text on black background?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

chrisjj

How to configure white text on black background?

Post by chrisjj »

Please?

I tried Preferences > Documents Classes > <name> > Colors, but it see to offer no setting for the main text which is stuck in grey, e.g. the word 'res' on the first line here.

Image[/img]
TheSQLGuru

11 Year Old Problem?!?

Post by TheSQLGuru »

I am having exactly the same issue. I cannot figure out how to get actual white for my text.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

second screen shot in first posting shows the entry "Text".
Changing foreground color of this to white should do it.
TheSQLGuru

Post by TheSQLGuru »

MudGuard wrote:second screen shot in first posting shows the entry "Text".
Changing foreground color of this to white should do it.
Text was already White. So was Characters.

Oddly enough, if you do something like make Selected Text be a dark grey color background and White for the Foreground the text is demonstrably whiter than unselected text on the black background.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

that might be due to the simultaneous contrast effect. The same brightness might seem different if the surrounding area is of different brightness.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

MudGuard wrote: simultaneous contrast effect
In the screenshots the text color in listbox "Item" in the dialog windows is white for i.e. the item "Text" (and all others). But in the editor said text is not white, only the line numbers. You can eliminate said contrast by using a picture editor and just draw a white line near objects where you're unsure.

However, with 8.1.1 and Java syntax highlighting I was unable to reproduce this issue when setting "Text" to black background and white foreground.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

in the screenshot, the brackets are red, while the setting for brackets is white . The comments are green, while the setting for the comments is white ...

So I do not believe the screenshot ...
chrisjj

Re: How to configure white text on black background?

Post by chrisjj »

Two years later, I'd still love to find a solution.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

The comment's color doesn't match their settings, and (as has been written before) the bracket's color doesn't match their settings either. But you only seem to be bugged about the default text color - are you even sure you're looking at the syntax definition that is being used?
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

AmigoJack wrote:The comment's color doesn't match their settings, and (as has been written before) the bracket's color doesn't match their settings either.
Yup! :)
AmigoJack wrote: But you only seem to be bugged about the default text color -
Priorities! :)
AmigoJack wrote:are you even sure you're looking at the syntax definition that is being used?
There's a question!

I'm sure I'm looking at the one that's should be used:

And now (V8.1.1) it works!

LorenAmelang

Post by LorenAmelang »

Updated to 8.6.1, I tried all the suggestions here, hoping to get a dark mode with pure white chars on pure black. No matter what I chose directly, it looked perfect in the settings choices and in a visible sample, even after Apply, but when I'd _Close_, the backgrounds would interact strangely and the foreground would often flip... My white always ended up mid gray.

Seemed that choosing a random background other than black, saving, then going back to black and saving again fixed the background. Several of the style classes had to have this change, change back ritual performed. After that it still messed up some foreground colors on close. I gave up and chose white for all foregrounds, it seems to cope with that.
SoftMoore

Post by SoftMoore »

I had the same problem, and I finally figured out how to solve it. First, change the text foreground color to a different color, say yellow, and click on apply. Then, change the text foreground color again back to white and click on apply. This second change will do what you want.