WildEdit 2.1 install failed under WinXP; 2.0 OK

General questions about using WildEdit

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

klepton

WildEdit 2.1 install failed under WinXP; 2.0 OK

Post by klepton »

Hello!

This amounts to an FYI for Helios that there are some problems installing WildEdit 2.1 under Windows XP (SP2). I was finally able to get WE ver. 2.0 installed, however. Problem may have been interference with previously installed ver 1.1, but still looks like 2.1 does not work under XP.

I understand fixing behavior under XP will not be a high priority, but some advance warning on XP would have been nice.

I do wish the web site would have an easily-findable explicit statement about which Windows versions are compatible, and also explicit statement about whether to uninstall older version first.

In case it would be of interest to Helios, below is my installation saga.

- Existing version 1.1, WinXP SP2.

- Ver. 2.1 appeared to install OK, except checking InstallShield box "Launch WildEdit" did not do so upon finish (or did so with invisible crash, since I did see its process once in task manager list).
- Launch of WE2.1 from icon gave error box:
WildEdit.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

- Uninstalled & reinstalled 2.1, with same error. Uninstalled.

-Installed 2.0, everything seemed OK. No install or run errors.

- Installed 2.1 on top of this, same "entry point" error as above. Uninstalled.

-Installed 2.0, but at end installer said:
"The File 'WildEdit.exe' is not marked for installation."
- WE does not appear on Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs list.
- Program & icons installed, but on running see error (paraphrased):
"The application has failed to start because icuuc52.dll could not be found."
(I saw that icudt42.dll and icuuc42.dll, but not *52.dll, are present in WildEdit program directory.)

- Uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller "forced uninstall" option to remove all traces.

- Installed 2.0; installer hung near end at status "Removing backup files". During the hang, > 50% of CPU time was taken up by process "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs".

- Programs and icons installed OK, but WE not on Add or Remove Programs list.
- Was able to run WE OK while the installer was hung.

- Killed process msiexec, WE 2.0 runs OK, and later found WildEdit is now on the Add or Remove Programs list.

- Piece of cake! A lovely 2 hours on a sunny day. (^_^)

- Scott B.
-------------------------
If you have to buy it,
it can't be cool
-------------------------