Add shortcut to Context Menu button is grayed out?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mtko

Add shortcut to Context Menu button is grayed out?

Post by mtko »

Just got a new SSD and installed TextPad 7.1. However, as the topic says, I can't add it to my context menu?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Any ideas?
pbulley

Post by pbulley »

I can confirm this happens. Still occurs if TextPad x64 is run as Administrator and Windows UAC is disabled.
pbulley

Post by pbulley »

This appears to be confined to v7.1 64bit, having just instlled 7.1 32bit where the context menu option does work as expected.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Thanks for reporting this issue which will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, you can workaround it by downloading this zip file and double clicking the zipped .REG file in Windows Explorer, or opening it in regedit.exe. It contains this registry entry:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TextPad]
@="{8A791F0C-C63C-4EC5-B97F-FBCE74EDBC54}"
mtko

Post by mtko »

Thanks!
mtko

Post by mtko »

Okay, so I just got home and tried your registry edit. It doesn't appear to have worked for me. TextPad is still not listed in my context menu for a .txt file, and the option to enable it is still grayed out and unclickable.

Edit: For clarification, the key *IS* in my registry, but it's still not working correctly. TextPad shows up in the 'Send To ->' menu, but not in the base context menu.
Tokoloshe

Post by Tokoloshe »

mtko wrote:Okay, so I just got home and tried your registry edit. It doesn't appear to have worked for me. TextPad is still not listed in my context menu for a .txt file, and the option to enable it is still grayed out and unclickable.

Edit: For clarification, the key *IS* in my registry, but it's still not working correctly. TextPad shows up in the 'Send To ->' menu, but not in the base context menu.
Yes, same situation for me I afraid. :(
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Do you have these entries in your registry?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{8A791F0C-C63C-4EC5-B97F-FBCE74EDBC54}]
@="TextPad"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{8A791F0C-C63C-4EC5-B97F-FBCE74EDBC54}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files\\TextPad 7\\System\\shellext64.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
Note that the actual path to shellext64.dll on your system may be different. That's the DLL which handles TextPad on the context menu.
Tokoloshe

Post by Tokoloshe »

I didn't, but now I do. Although the option is still greyed out in the TextPad preferences window, this has indeed added the TextPad option to the Windows context menu and it is working as it should be. Thank you. :)

As a side question (it doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for), anyone know why, TextPad uses a generic program icon on the task bar instead of using the TextPad icon?

As you can see, the little peek preview shows the "T" icon but the task bar doesn't.
mtko

Post by mtko »

bbadmin wrote:Do you have these entries in your registry?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{8A791F0C-C63C-4EC5-B97F-FBCE74EDBC54}]
@="TextPad"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{8A791F0C-C63C-4EC5-B97F-FBCE74EDBC54}\InProcServer32]
Note that the actual path to shellext64.dll on your system may be different. That's the DLL which handles TextPad on the context menu.
I had the registry keys, but path was to shellext32.dll. Changing it to shellext64.dll did add textpad to my context menus, but it doesn't seem to be context sensitive (meaning, the textpad icon is there for EVERY file type, not just document filetypes which I believe is how it worked before). Also I think it's in a different place in the context menu, but maybe I just remember wrong and it's not a big deal anyways.

Thanks for your help!
Tokoloshe

Post by Tokoloshe »

mtko wrote:but it doesn't seem to be context sensitive (meaning, the textpad icon is there for EVERY file type, not just document filetypes which I believe is how it worked before).
I think you may be remembering that incorrectly. for me, the whole point of this menu entry was that I could right-click and get any file to open in TextPad. There are literally hundreds of file extensions that can appear from various sources and it would be inconvenient, and not always appropriate, to associate them with TextPad. However, the ability to force TextPad to open any file that I chose from a right-click menu has been very, very convenient in the past.
ppnacho

Post by ppnacho »

Hello, my English is not very good. Sorry.

In my case it did not work.

The name of my dll is "ShellExt64.dll". Then edit the registry as follows:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ CLSID \ {8A791F0C-C63C-4EC5-B97F-FBCE74EDBC54} \ InProcServer32]
@ = "C: \ \ Program Files \ \ TextPad 7 \ \ System \ \ ShellExt64.dll"

Note: Distinguish case sensitive

Now it works. I have solved the problem of direct access with the right mouse button.

However, every time I use this shortcut the time it used to open a text file exceeds 10 seconds.

Any solution?

Thank you very much for your help.

(Spanish)

Hola, mi ingles no es muy bueno. Lo siento.

En mi caso no funciono.

El nombre de mi dll es "ShellExt64.dll". Entonces modifique el registro asi:

@="C:\\Program Files\\TextPad 7\\System\\ShellExt64.dll"

Nota: Distinguir mayusculas y minusculas

Ahora si funciona. He solucionado el problema del acceso directo con el boton derecho.

Sin embargo, cada vez que uso este acceso directo el tiempo que utiliza para abrir un fichero de texto excede los 10 segundos.

Alguna solucion?

Muchas gracias por vuestra ayuda.
TrueWill

Post by TrueWill »

Thanks much - this worked for me. Apparently it does require rebooting.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

Have to re-fix it under TP 7.3 as the reg entry was back to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\TextPad 7\System\shellext64.dll

Will check after rebooting.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
kevinHealy

Post by kevinHealy »

The release notes for 7.2.0 indicate that this bug has been fixed. I disagree: this context menu bug still seems to be present. The procedure I describe below exhibited the bug immediately after a fresh install of 7.3.0. I should not have had to do any registry editing to have context menu support.

I recently installed 7.3.0 recently, and this time I recorded all the steps that I had to do to get Windows Explorer context menus to work once more. My procedure:

1) I first uninstalled my existing 7.2.0

2) I then installed a fresh download of 7.3.0

3) I rebooted

4) right clicking on a file in Windows Explorer did NOT show TextPad as a context menu choice; I web searched and found this post

5) following the advice in this post, I opened regedit and found that I already had

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TextPad]
@="{8A791F0C-C63C-4EC5-B97F-FBCE74EDBC54}"
NOTE: the @ above is the syntax for regedit's default value name ("The Default Value of a key can be edited by using @" according to wikipedia)

6) however, I was missing these, so added them:

@="TextPad"

7) TextPad still failed to appears as context menu choice

8) I rebooted

9) only then did TextPad appear on the Windows Explorer context menu