Favorite files list?

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bd9439

Favorite files list?

Post by bd9439 »

I'd like to suggest adding a "Favorites" menu, similar to what exists in a browser. I have a handful of files that I edit frequently, scattered across several network file system, and it would be handy to record them in a list. As I age, it's getting harder for me to rememeber where I put everything!
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

You could use a workspace for that.
Or a file containing the file names - and open this file as @file (see help for command line parameters)
bd9439

Post by bd9439 »

I've never used workspaces before; clever idea. However, that's not quite what I want. It seems that adding files to a workspace means they are all open at the same time. I'm just looking for an easy way to save file locations, similar to the names in the recent file list in the File menu.

But thanks for the suggestion; I learned something new today (always a good thing).
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Another way is to use the features the operating system provides and create shortcuts to your most-frequently used files in one place. Then it's a simple matter of navigating to that folder and opening the shortcuts you want to edit.
bd9439

Post by bd9439 »

Well that's a good idea; I never thought of that. Not quite as easy as managing a list inside TextPad, but it would work. Best part is I think this is the first time I've messaged anyone from Australia!

Wow, learned two new things in one day!

Thanks!

Bob
dcwebman

Post by dcwebman »

If it's any help, I have had the exact same request for months now. After my files roll off the Recent File List, I have to go find them again. I was thinking of a Favorites List like mentioned, perhaps similar to viewing the Document Selector.

I use Workspaces to keep common files open at the same time and this would work, but I don't want my favorite files open at the same time. I just want to be able to select one to open as the OP requested.