Document or link for Regular expressions

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

gout_text

Document or link for Regular expressions

Post by gout_text »

Hi,
I am new member using textpad as my editor.
I want to learn the syntax's of Regular expressions.
I tried to find over net but couldn't find proper document which i can use.
Could you tell me the document or link which can be helpful in making a beginner to understand basic regular expressions?
Eg:
1) Deleting the the lines which has parcular text in line.
2) Copying the line having some words.etc...

Also, could you tell me how to delete lines which doesn't contain \\ in it (Basically i do not know negativity in regular expression)?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I have two sources I would recommend for regular expression guidance. The first is TextPad's own help file which is a good introduction to regular expression syntax. The best starting point is the topic 'How to Use Regular Expressions' whcih links to 'Regular Expressions' and 'Replacement Expressions'.

The other is the website regular-expressions.info and the 'Basic Syntax Reference'.

There are a two good books I would recommend, the first Mastering Regular Expressions by Jeffrey Friedl, and the second The Regular Expression Cookbook by Jan Goyvaerts and Steven Levithan.

The regular expression engine used in textPad is not particularly capable so these books, although excellent, may be more than you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.