Find and Bookmark between 2 documents

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

oldgoat

Find and Bookmark between 2 documents

Post by oldgoat »

Hi everyone, I'll try to keep this question simple...

I have one document with a list of 3000 unique part numbers

I have another document with 200,000 lines of data.

I need textpad to look at each unique part number and bookmark all instances of it in the other document.

I tried recording a macro but it doesn't seem to like going between documents. It just stays on the original document.

I searched the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for. Sorry for what probably is an easy question :oops:
oldgoat

Post by oldgoat »

ok, i did get it to switch between documents by using CTRL + TAB but for some reason i can't get it to advance down my list of unique part numbers, it just stays on the first one indefinitely
PaulBrewer44

Post by PaulBrewer44 »

oldgoat wrote:ok, i did get it to switch between documents by using CTRL + TAB but for some reason i can't get it to advance down my list of unique part numbers, it just stays on the first one indefinitely
I had a similar issue recently which worked itself out when I wasn't in block select mode - it seems to move down ina logical way then!

For your issue, I'd usually copy to Excel and vlookup to be honest, then copy back and edit from there. I can't think of a quicker solution with TextPad
oldgoat

Post by oldgoat »

PaulBrewer44 wrote:
oldgoat wrote:ok, i did get it to switch between documents by using CTRL + TAB but for some reason i can't get it to advance down my list of unique part numbers, it just stays on the first one indefinitely
I had a similar issue recently which worked itself out when I wasn't in block select mode - it seems to move down ina logical way then!

For your issue, I'd usually copy to Excel and vlookup to be honest, then copy back and edit from there. I can't think of a quicker solution with TextPad
Thanks, I wound up just doing a query in Access :( We have an older version of Excel here that's limited to 66,xxx rows and in my version of Excel I would have needed 4+ different workbooks :lol:
PaulBrewer44

Post by PaulBrewer44 »

oldgoat wrote:Thanks, I wound up just doing a query in Access :( We have an older version of Excel here that's limited to 66,xxx rows and in my version of Excel I would have needed 4+ different workbooks :lol:
I have Excel 2007 - can't believe I ever managed without it! Sometimes easier to jump to other software than try and do everythnig in TextPad and I am a very big TextPad fan!
oldgoat

Post by oldgoat »

PaulBrewer44 wrote:
oldgoat wrote:Thanks, I wound up just doing a query in Access :( We have an older version of Excel here that's limited to 66,xxx rows and in my version of Excel I would have needed 4+ different workbooks :lol:
I have Excel 2007 - can't believe I ever managed without it! Sometimes easier to jump to other software than try and do everythnig in TextPad and I am a very big TextPad fan!
I wish, I have it at home but my company "doesn't see the need to upgrade" yet :( And I'm way more handy in Excel than Access....Access to me isn't very user friendly...the 2003 version anyway