Regular Expression does not match java error

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

textpad@kswenson.oib.com

Regular Expression does not match java error

Post by textpad@kswenson.oib.com »

I have used TextPad for many years, and being able to compile and double click on the error lines has always worked until this last version. I have struggled with this, tried many options, but every time I get the enemic error message "Can't jump to the item under the cursor".

I am using the following regular expression, from the TextPad help:

^\([A-Za-z]:[^:]+\):\([0-9]+\):

I do NOT have Posix regular expressions selected. The help file says this is not a POSIX expression (but I hav tried converting it to POSIX and using that option -- no change)

The line I am trying to match is:

d:\sandbox\ps\nugen\src\com\fujitsu\nugen\SectionWiki.java:469: cannot find symbol

I have 1->File, and 2->line number

As far as I can see, this should match. At the beginning of the line the drive letter d, then a colon, then everything up to the next colon is exactly the full file name and path. The second group starts after that colon, and selects digits up to the third colon. The expression should match this line, but it does not.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get a better error message, or better diagnostics about this?

I can't get anything to match. I tried simplified expressions, but unfortunately it has to match a file name and line number otherwise I can't tell if it matched or not.

Any ideas on why this does not work?
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Was Posix regular expression syntax deselected at the time you set the regular expression? Make sure it is not selected and enter the regular expression again.
textpad@kswenson.oib.com

Post by textpad@kswenson.oib.com »

Thank you so much. I thought I had tried every combination, shutting down, restarting,etc.

Here is the pattern that worked:

1) deselect POSIX
2) exit TextPad
3) restart TextPad

I checked to make sure that the regular expression was correct (it was) but did not modify it at this point.

Now it works.

I think the trick is: the POSIX flag is read ... only on startup?

SUGGESTION FOR PRODUCT: the error message should say what it thinks the POSIX setting was that it used, and probably should say the expression that it tried to use. e.g. "Unable to match the (POSIX/non POSIX) expression XXXXXXX to the line under the cursor."