File not shrinking when saved on Windows 7

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

vr8ce

File not shrinking when saved on Windows 7

Post by vr8ce »

Textpad 5.3.1 on Win7.

I have a weird, reproducible problem. I open Textpad, create a new file foobar, enter five lines with the numbers 1-5 as the first and only character on each line, e.g.
I then save the file. Typing the file from the command line shows the five lines. So far so good.

I then delete the last two lines in Textpad, so that it only has three lines:
I then save the file. Typing the file from the command line, however, still shows the five lines. If I close the file in TP and re-open it, it has the five original lines.

This is a simple example, but the general problem is that Textpad doesn't appear to move the EOF marker when saving a file that's shorter when saved than it was when TP opened it.

I've done the same thing in other editors, with no problem. It's only TP that's exhibiting the admittedly very strange symptoms. This is my only Win7 installation; my laptop is running XP, where I've had no problems from TP for years and years.

TP 5.3.1 was an original install on this PC, i.e. it wasn't upgraded from a previous version.[/list]
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

TP 5.3.1 here and Win 7 Professional. I can't reproduce it.

Do the attributes of the file in windows explorer show the file as having a recent modified date? For larger files, does the size on disk decrease? Anything interesting show up if you point a hex editor at the file? xvi32 is my preference but there are plenty of free viewers out there.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.