Edit TextPad Macros

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Cad Man

Edit TextPad Macros

Post by Cad Man »

Hi, I'm new here, and my question is:
after I have recorded a TextPad Macro is it possible to edit it without re-recording it all again. :-(

I have a rather complicated macro that works fine, but I would greatly like to change a small part of it to do something else.

Thanks

Ben
You can only take out what you put in.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Cannot edit TextPad macros.

If you search the forum you will see that this has been the most commonly requested enhancement for many yeras. Other third party macro tools work well with TextPad.

My personal choice is Macro Scheduler Pro. they recently introduced a Lite version, more info available here: http://www.mjtnet.com/macro_scheduler_pro.htm. I use Macro Scheduler every day with TextPad, sometimes calling TextPad macros, sometimes using macros created to perform some tasks that TextPad macros cannot do, sometimes combining both. Macro Scheduler also includes a RegEx command that is much more powerful than TextPad's.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
BruceMarriott

Post by BruceMarriott »

[quote="Bob Hansen"]
My personal choice is Macro Scheduler Pro. they recently introduced a Lite version, more info available here: http://www.mjtnet.com/macro_scheduler_pro.htm. I use Macro Scheduler every day with TextPad, sometimes calling TextPad macros, sometimes using macros created to perform some tasks that TextPad macros cannot do, sometimes combining both. Macro Scheduler also includes a RegEx command that is much more powerful than TextPad's.[/quote]

Forgive me but you keep repeating this like a mantra whenever Macros come up and its not a great solution to what people are asking for here.

You point people at Macro Scheduler Pro - but this costs £195

The ordinary version costs £95 and even the Lite version costs £49. And maintenance re new releases is a significant extra cost on top of that.

And this is to put right problems in a text editor that costs £16.50

It is a solution, possibly a great one, if people want to automate at a higher level than one application. But its cost and un-integrated nature mean its poor kludge for those who have a long macro and just want to change a line or two.

I used to use TextPad but gave up waiting for macro editing a few years ago. Currently I use ***** and at £31 its significantly more expensive then TextPad - but then it has good Macro Editing. I do remember thinking that TextPad was a good and elegant editor which is why every few months I come back and see if its made progress... which it doesn't really. You look at the release notes re Enhancements and its all rather un-special. The Enhancements delivered don't really seem to answer the big suggestions that keep being made in this forum. TextPad could be sold at a higher price if the enhancements people want were actually delivered. But little changes in this world - in a years time I very much doubt that TextPad will have macro editing and expensive kludges will still be being proffered as the way forward.

[i]Edit: Thought I had better remove name of Editor I use - don't wish to be seen as advertising and have the post deleted!.[/i]
bevhoward

Post by bevhoward »

Related...

Have you looked at wild edit? It's been a couple of years since I used it but seem to remember that it has a more "editable" interface for the actions which are essentially macros... can always be used on a single file.

Beverly Howard
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

For Bruce:

TextPad does not provide a tool to edit its macros, so a work around must be used. I have mentioned the solution that worked best for ME. Others have suggested other macro tools that are less expensive. I would not recommend another tool that I have not qualified. AutoIt v3 is a free macro recorder tool that I have used, but I did not recommend it because it is not my choice, for a number of reasons. And the cost is something that is worth the differences to me. Your results will probably vary from mine.

I use Macro Scheduler as a macro solution to all programs, not just for TextPad. Just as I have a Word Processor for that special type of work, and I use TextPad for text file data manipulation, I found it valuable to have a dedicated program for making Macro Scripts that work in all Window applications.
---------------------------------------------------------
For Beverly:

WildEdit is like TextPad's Search/Replace on steroids. Much better RegEx tools, different search options, etc. But it does nothing about editing TextPad macros. (And Yes, Macro Scheduler can be used to automate WildEdit together with TextPad).
Bob
bevhoward

Post by bevhoward »

>> But it does nothing about editing TextPad macros. <<

I understand that, but isn't it possible to edit wildedit macros (scripts) within wildedit?

I suggested this as a way to build, use and maintain complex macros to run a job outside of textpad, then open the file(s) in textpad.

(wildedit isn't installed on my current machine so I can't easily look at this)

Thanks for your responses,
Beverly Howard
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

There are no macros in WildEdit. Each action it performs is a single mass replacement, based on a single search expression and a single replacement expression, on a set of files. There is no mechanism for combining these actions or for performing any other type of action.

Perhaps you are thinking of another product.
bevhoward

Post by bevhoward »

Thanks for the clarification...

...my thought process is probably is a result of using complex macros primarily for complicated search and replace actions, that, plus the dim gray cells from not having used it for several years ;-)

Beverly Howard
Cad Man

Post by Cad Man »

Thanks guys,

My question has been answered.

I never intended causing such conflict or the opening of old wounds, apologies.

I'll drop in a suggestion for an improvement, in the hope that when another voice asks for the same thing as many others, something might happen. It can't do any harm. Programmatically speaking, its not such a big deal to implement it, but if the will is not there then it will never happen :wink:

Regards from snowed in Germany

Ben
You can only take out what you put in.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I don't think any wounds have been opened.

I think this discussion did exactly what it should. Tried to provide a solution to a problem and clarified any misunderstandings.

Kudos to all.
Bob