Workaround for no tools with restricted domain users

Instructional HowTos, posted by users. No questions here please.

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

quantum

Workaround for no tools with restricted domain users

Post by quantum »

I work for a school district which uses textpad for Java programing and found a workaround "solution" for the issue of the tools options missing in preferences.

First the tools option according to other posts here and testing, seems to be tied to the registry entry\group policy option to remove the run line. So if giving the run line to the user is an option; then that would be the simplest solution.

Now in our case giving the run line to the students is not an option so here is what I did. Keep in mind this will only work if the users do not need to change the tools complie and run options from the settings you enter. I tested this with Windows Xp, but it should work with Vista and 7 I imagine.

Reboot the computer.
Login as an administrator, browse to the users (documents and settings) folder; in folder options show hidden files. Delete all profiles except default user, all users, yours, and any others who do not need the options forced.
Start textpad and go to preferance, tools and set the complie and run options the users need. Save the changes and close the program.
Go to the run line and open regedit, browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, software, helios, textpad. Select the tools key, right click and export. Save somewhere you can find quick.
Edit the .reg file and replace all instances of HKEY_CURRENT_USER with HKEY_USERS\NTUSER. Save the file.
Back in regedit select the HKEY_USERS root and go to File, load hive. Browse to Default user in the users (document and settings) folder and select NTUSER.DAT. Name the key NTUSER.
Double click the reg file you just edited, it will prompt to make sure you want to add the information to the registry, say yes and then ok at the success message.
Check in HKEY_USERS\NTUSER\SOFTWARE\HELIOS\TEXTPAD\TOOLS\0,1,2 for your settings to make sure they went in right. Select the NTUSER key then go to File, unload hive.
Once NTUSER is unloaded close regedit and reboot the computer. Login as a restricted user and test compiling and running a program that uses the tools.

By loading the tools in the registry hive for default user and deleting all the profiles any user who logs in and does not have a profile will get the settings when they get a copy of the default user registry hive.

Hope this helps.

Chris G.