General questions about using WildEdit

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bastion

WildEdit - Access is denied.

Post by bastion »

Hi everyone :)

== The problem ==
===============================================

I am getting the message "Access is denied." in my log file, however the log info is not telling me what file / folder is causing the problem. I need to know which file to replace in order to fix this.

Actually the biggest problem is that the program just stops at the first error and doesn't continue. Having folders that I do not have permission for is always going to be the case. The program should continue instead of just stopping the search.

I am using WildEdit 1.1

== The log: ==
===============================================

=== BEGIN REPLACE COMMAND ===
{
Time: 2009-Dec-07 19:09:14
Search Pattern: abcxyz
Replacement Format: abc_xyz
Character Encoding: windows-1252
Root folder: X:\
File Filter: *.html *.htm *.shtml *.php *.dwt
Regular Expression: false
Replacement Format: false
Match Case: false
Match Words: false
Search Subfolders: true
}
X:/ABC/index.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/mailinglist.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/meetings.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/xmas_workshop.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/old/meetings.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/old/xmas_workshop.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/old/index.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/old/mailinglist.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/dev/xmas_workshop.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/1996/maillist.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/1996/program.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/1996/Welcome.html: 0 replacements made
X:/ABC/1996/wholist.html: 0 replacements made
Access is denied.

Number of files searched: 23256
Number of files modified: 0
Total changes made: 0
=== END REPLACE COMMAND ===

== report is incorrect ==
As you can see the report is incorrect as only 13 files were searched before bombing out on an error, and not 23256 ("Number of files searched: 23256"). There are hundreds and hundreds of files that still need to be modified.

The error info returned is unhelpful ..
The last file listed in the log has 0 replacements made, and it isn't that file. I was able to run WildEdit on just that folder (ABC) and no errors at all!. I have checked the folder "ABC" and it is absolutely not the problem. I have checked the parent folders, and neighbouring folders in the list too.. no luck there either.

This is a big, old and complex unix based website with symbolic links scattered around, I can not just do a global file permission change as that could break something (or perhaps remove required security restrictions). I really need to know exactly WHICH file or folder is causing the "Access is denied." error. Any hints?

bastion

Post by bastion »

OK, I have worked out the cause for WildEdit bombing out. I removed write permission to a sub-folder (called "new_file") and WildEdit produced the same behaviour.. it stopped it's file search and bombed out with the error "Access is denied."

The file permissions were changed in unix, the command to remove write permission ans reproduce the error is:

chmod a-w new_file
bastion

Post by bastion »

If it helps at all.. I am accessing the web server via a Samba file share.
bastion

Post by bastion »

I have also noticed that it only bombs out when it is a folder that I don't have access to. If I don't have permission to write to a single file it skips it correctly.

So then, what I really really really would love to see is that folders are just skipped if you don't have access and not break the whole search as is the current behaviour.