Licensing Error

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

terryc

Licensing Error

Post by terryc »

I receive this message every time I try to enter my license key.

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Helios\TextPad 5\License"The installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator."

This seems to be a Windows 7 issue, as before I was running Vista and had no problems. My OS is Windows 7 64 bit and TextPad v5.3.1.
raypad

Licence error - Windows 7

Post by raypad »

I have the exact same problem. Only diffs is that I am on 32bit OS.

My suspicion is that Windows 7 handles TP as a rogue element trying to fiddle with the registry and this falls under the group policy of Windows 7.

I am going to play around with the Windows 7 policies and see what I come up with.
raypad

Licence Error - Windows 7

Post by raypad »

While checking the Windows Event handler after this error popped up I found this event, right now I have no idea what it means but some guru might:
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\sepsearchhelperie.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\sepsearchhelperie.dll" on line 2. Invalid Xml syntax.
raypad

Solution to Licence error

Post by raypad »

Ok, I was extremely lucky with this one. It was a hit and miss situation.

This is what I did:
1. Uninstalled my new installation of TP
2. Right clicked on the TP install file - in my case "txpeng531.exe"
3. Select "Run as Administrator"
4. Followed TP install thingies...
5. After completed I went to TP -> Help -> Update Licence
6. Pasted my licence - and viola!

I hope this helps someone.
terryc

Post by terryc »

This worked perfectly. Thank you.
stevemidgley

Thanks - worked perfectly

Post by stevemidgley »

++ previous comment. I had this exact issue and following your steps fixed it. This was especially weird for me b/c the user account I was installing on is admin on Win7. But "Run as administrator" for the installer did the job. Thanks!
netsmith2012

That solved the problem.

Post by netsmith2012 »

:)
That was the solution. I had to right click and run the installer as Admin. Like the previous person said, this is off, because I am admin of this system. Well it's a good trick to know and may come in handy in the future.
kmuegge

Thank you. This solution worked!

Post by kmuegge »

Thanks, this saved me a lot of time tracking down what group policy object to modify to get this to work. I had tried running as a different user, but not Run as administrator.
scheubo

RUN AS ADMIN

Post by scheubo »

... although I am local admin! That helped me solving this ridiculous problem. Thanks a lot!
jerry0503214

Post by jerry0503214 »

My suspicion is that Windows 7 handles TP as a rogue element trying to fiddle with the registry and this falls under the group policy of Windows 7.

I am going to play around with the Windows 7 policies and see what I come up with.