Installation Error 1714

Known problems and workarounds

Moderators: helios, bbadmin

bbadmin
Site Admin

Installation Error 1714

Post by bbadmin »

If, during the installation of TextPad, it fails with error 1714, it means that a previous install or uninstall left a corrupt key in your registry. A quick google will reveal that this is a Microsoft Installer (MSI) issue, rather than being specific to TextPad, but that's no consolation if you can't install TextPad.

The easy fix is described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

If that doesn't help, you'll need to delete an entry in the registry under the following key:

HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\<Application ID>

The <Application ID> is different for each installation, so must be determined from the error log. That can be done as follows:
  1. Log in as Administrator.
  2. In Control Panel, double click Administrative Tools and then Event Viewer.
  3. In the tree view, select Application then look in the Source column of the list view for the most recent "MsiInstaller" entry, with a corresponding error in the Type column.
  4. Double click on that entry, and it should say that it failed to read the PackageCode, and give the location of the registry key causing the problem.
  5. Click Start/Run and type regedit.
  6. Browse to the given registry key and delete it.
  7. Close regedit and Event Viewer.
  8. Reinstall TextPad.
I hope this helps.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
cdreiser

Re: Installation Error 1714

Post by cdreiser »

Thanks, deleting TextPad entries in the registry helped. Installation went well.

bbadmin wrote:If, during the installation of TextPad, it fails with error 1714, it means that a previous install or uninstall left a corrupt key in your registry. A quick google will reveal that this is a Microsoft Installer (MSI) issue, rather than being specific to TextPad, but that's no consolation if you can't install TextPad.

The easy fix is described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

If that doesn't help, you'll need to delete an entry in the registry under the following key:

HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\<Application ID>

The <Application ID> is different for each installation, so must be determined from the error log. That can be done as follows:
  1. Log in as Administrator.
  2. In Control Panel, double click Administrative Tools and then Event Viewer.
  3. In the tree view, select Application then look in the Source column of the list view for the most recent "MsiInstaller" entry, with a corresponding error in the Type column.
  4. Double click on that entry, and it should say that it failed to read the PackageCode, and give the location of the registry key causing the problem.
  5. Click Start/Run and type regedit.
  6. Browse to the given registry key and delete it.
  7. Close regedit and Event Viewer.
  8. Reinstall TextPad.
I hope this helps.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
larapinta

Installation Error 1714 Remains

Post by larapinta »

Thanks for the many suggestions attached to this thread and others. Unfortunately they don't work for me. I had 4.7, and upgraded a while back to 5.?. Recently, I checked and found there is a new version so I tried to apply that to go to 5.3.1. When I run it I get a message in Spanish that wants to locate the "Textpad 4.7.msi" file in my local settings directory and no matter what I click it eventually aborts. The directory it thinks the file is in is no longer on my pc, if it ever was.

I have worked through several of the posts on in the forum, not just this one and find I still cannot update in spite of:
1. running the windows cleanup utility
2. trying a non-MS installer
3. totally cleaning the registry of anything TextPad or Helios-related

No matter what I get this message. When I did a C drive wide search for "TextPad 4.7" I got about 90 hits in directories starting with "C:\$NTService..." or "C:\$NTUinstall..." in a file called "spuninst.inf". These seem to be the only places left, but I am nervous about messing with them - any other suggestions?

Thanks in hope I can keep using Textpad :oops: