multiple instances - inconsistent behavior from context menu

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

martina

multiple instances - inconsistent behavior from context menu

Post by martina »

I upgraded to 5.3 and then went back quickly to 4.7.3 because I just can't live with some of the new behavior and I needed the Help files back to figure out what is going on.

When I open a file from the context menu I expect it to open in the existing TP instance. That is what 4.7.3 does. The help text below leads be to believe that it "works as designed"

---
Allow multiple instances to run
Allow more than one instance of the program to run at a time. Note that an existing instance will open any files double clicked in Explorer, if the association is configured to use DDE messages.
---

In 5.3, it kept opening new TP instances. After reinstalling 4.7.3 the behavior persisted. I had to deselect everything in the Preferences in "put shortcuts to textpad in", close and start TP and then select it again and it works again.

I think 5.3 has a bug.
Opinions / Comments?

Martina
WoodChip

Post by WoodChip »

I can see by the Post date this forum does not get much attention. I recently upgraded to 5.0 and noticed the missing Help topic. To make matters worse, I was doing the upgrade on a new computer and OS. I like to use TP configured to allow only one instance. This was my problem! I upgraded to 5.3 which was released on 8/18 but this did not fix the multiple instance problem. It did however fix the Help problem.

This is the link to my recent Post: http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php?t=10186

-Don
daemon8

Post by daemon8 »

If by chance you are using the 'Replace Notepad' option and are working with txt files - try unchecking the 'Replace Notepad' option and create an association with txt to open via TextPad instead.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Thank you Martina. I was having the same problem with multiple instances after ugrading to 5.3. Your fix solved it for me.