Error accessing 'C:\Program Files\... \System\HTML.SYN'

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

sosimple

Error accessing 'C:\Program Files\... \System\HTML.SYN'

Post by sosimple »

I have been using TextPad 4.X for a while and I recently had to re-install my OS (XP-SP3). So, I decided to give TextPad 5.2 a try, so I did a fresh install of TextPad 5.2.

I found a problem that I have not been able to find a solution for...

Previously I had TextPad installed at:
C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\

I installed TextPaad 5.2 at:
C:\Program Files\TextPad\

After I used it for a while, I discovered that when I open some "TextPad Workspace Files" (.tws) that were previously created, I get an error/warning:
"Error accessing 'C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\System\HTML.SYN'
C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\System\HTML.SYN contains an incorrect path."

This path doesn't exist (and never existed since re-installing XP), and as I expected, I can't find that path in the registry anywhere.

Upon examining the "workspace.tws" files, I found that it contains a reference the the HTML.SYN file, with the wrong path.

Is there a way to fix this, or is the only choices to either re-create the workspace files, or the reinstall Textpad in the old path ???

Kevin
Mirri360

Error accessing ...Text.syn. ...contains an incorrect path

Post by Mirri360 »

When using an existing workspace file, I get this error. I just moved to Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine. The path referred to does not exist anymore. Has anyone found how to fix this?
sosimple

Re: Error accessing ...Text.syn. ...contains an incorrect pa

Post by sosimple »

Mirri360 wrote:When using an existing workspace file, I get this error. I just moved to Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine. The path referred to does not exist anymore. Has anyone found how to fix this?
Hi Mirri360,

I have not found a solution to this, but as a workaround until it is "Fixed", you could re-create the "Missing" path on the new machine and copy the file "HTML.SYN" to that path like:
'C:\Program Files\...(OLD-TEXTPAD-PATH)\System\HTML.SYN'

So far this has worked 100% for me but I can't be sure that I won't find an old ".tws" file that will fail with this temporary fix.

Kevin
Mirri360

Re: Error accessing ...Text.syn. ...contains an incorrect pa

Post by Mirri360 »

Such a simple fix - it works well. I wonder what that file is for??
Dale
sosimple

Post by sosimple »

Has there been any work done to fix this issue, or does anyone have any information on the file-format of .tws files so it can be (binary) edited ?

I am moving everything from XP machine (32bit) to Win-7 machine (64bit), and I an trying to avoid misuse of "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folder structures.

Thanks,

Kevin
sosimple

Post by sosimple »

Does anyone know the structure of "Workspace" (.tws) files so I can edit these files with a binary editor ?

What is the "HTML.SYN" file for and why would it be listed within a "Workspace" file ?

Kevin
Carlyle

Post by Carlyle »

I am somewhat surprised that there are no solutions to this problem. Mistakenly using invalid rather than incorrect I got some more hits from 2002 and 2007.

My message is for text.syn which I cn load from the preferences dialog. I also went through all files and removed any references to text.syn. The problem remains. I tried to find the reference in the tws file without success. I do not know where to look now.
woho

Post by woho »

preferences/folders (not sure about exact wording -
no Textpad installed on the PC I'm writing from)

there you can edit different paths
one of them for the *.syn (Textpad Syntax) files your Textpad installation is using
Carlyle

Post by Carlyle »

[quote="woho"]preferences/folders (not sure about exact wording -
no Textpad installed on the PC I'm writing from)

there you can edit different paths
one of them for the *.syn (Textpad Syntax) files your Textpad installation is using[/quote]

Thank you for your answer but I habe already tried that.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Please try this:

Click on:

1. Configure
2. Preferences
3. Plus sign next to Document Classes
4. Plus sign next to "HTML"
5. Syntax
6. Check the "Enable syntax highlighting" box.
7. Under the heading "Syntax definition file" Select
"html.syn".
8. Click Apply / OK

Please ensure that *.html is a member of the Files in class as follows:

1. Configure
2. Preferences
3. Plus sign next to Document Classes
4. HTML
5. Under the heading "Files in class", make sure that *.html is in the list. If it is not there, then you will need to add it to the list, along with any other file extensions that you are using for HTML files.
6.Click Apply / OK

If html.syn is already enabled for the document class, then try disabling it, click OK and then re-enable it and click OK.

If this still doesn't fix it for the Workspaces, then it may be necessary to right click in each separate document and choose Properties/Syntax and repeat the procedure above.

I hope this helps.