Textpad guys blind to goodness of FTP Save-As capability?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Tyriel

Post by Tyriel »

While it's not my top priority on my Textpad wishlist, I'm with brikface in principle - having an FTP utility would save me much time. Pretty much the only thing I upload to an FTP site are things that I edit with Textpad anyway... the large binary files are so rare I don't mind firing up a real client to take care of those.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
-Steve Estes (Tyriel)
AIM: EnderW271
Email: destes[at]ix.netcom.com
freitag

Post by freitag »

This won't help the Linux junkies out there (but then TextPad doesn't run on Linux yet) as it is a windows tool, but...

WinSCP

You don't need FTP built into the editor.

Let the (S)FTP tool be the (S)FTP tool and let the editor tool be the editor tool.

So I log into some remote system security using SFTP or SCP, and I navigate around in my familiar (to a Windows user) Explorer-like environment and I right click on the file I want to edit and I select "edit" from the context menu. The file opens in my editor of choice (happens to be TextPad). I make my changes and save the file. WinSCP takes care of the fact that the file was not local and I don't have to care where it is. Neither do the authors of TextPad.

Since a "tuit" is a commodity that is in short supply, I'd rather see Helios spending it's tuits on editor features than on FTP features.

Oh, the other advantage of having only one FTP type tool? I don't have to learn yet another interface and enter (and keep up to date witih password changes) my credentials into another place on my PC and hope that it too is secure...

If you are dead set that TP has to have FTP then I can't convince you otherwise, but know this: I think you are silly.

EDIT: Just realized the last post date. Posting to a dead thread - ignore me....
loggin

Plugins

Post by loggin »

Has anyone written any plugins for text pad ? ? I'm getting so fed up of the bloat of dreamweaver that I feel like writing my own plugin for textpad to integrate it better with web projects and remote destinations!
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Check out this from wnent in Nov 2005.

For those looking for a TextPad FTP add-on that can FTP to multiple directories automatically, look no further: http://www.textpad.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6921
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob