4.7 cannot read text files on CD

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mo

Post by mo »

Has the idea of copyright protection routines been considered? How about age of the CD drives? Location: I understand that recent CD drives have built in anti-copying routines that work relative to location (can't copy a CD from N.Y. in California, etc.).

USA: California. I am using a PleXwriter which is now about 1 year old and a Sony DVD reader/writer. In neither can I copy.

I have C-dilla installed on my machine (against my will, but I wanted the Oxford English Dictionary and that's the way it goes.) Could such anti-theft mechanisms be at work here?

Recollection concerning freez of dialog: I believe this was not happening to me prior to the very first fix suggested on this thread.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
idf

Post by idf »

mo wrote:Has the idea of copyright protection routines been considered? How about age of the CD drives? Location: I understand that recent CD drives have built in anti-copying routines that work relative to location (can't copy a CD from N.Y. in California, etc.).
Could be relevant, but keep in mind that Notepad and Wordpad continue to be able to open the files fine, as well as earlier versions of Textpad.
helios

Post by helios »

Here's some information to cover the most recent points raised:

TextPad is statically linked to all its run-time libraries, to avoid problems due to different DLL versions. The major difference in that area is the use of Visual Studio 2003 to build TextPad 4.7.

TextPad uses the exact same procedure to open all files, regardless of what type of file system they are located on. It relies on the operating system to look after such details. The code for opening files has not changed since version 4.62.

"The parameter is incorrect" is a standard Windows error message and it's not obvious how TextPad could be displaying it. If it was generated internally, the title of the message box window would be the name of the file, rather than "TextPad".

We're still looking for a pattern here, so this question has to be asked: if you are experiencing this problem, which anti-virus software are you using? I suppose it's also worth asking if you've checked for viruses on your system?

Stephen MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions.
kanniballl

Post by kanniballl »

helios wrote: ...
The major difference in that area is the use of Visual Studio 2003 to build TextPad 4.7.
this question has to be asked: if you are experiencing this problem, which anti-virus software are you using? I suppose it's also worth asking if you've checked for viruses on your system?
I have Visual Studio .Net 2003 installed on my home machine (which is having the problem) if that helps you any.

As for AntiVirus software, I have Norton AntiVirus 2002. I update and scan about every week. However, I do not leave it running in the background as it has a habit of messing something up.

I hope this helps,
Chris
mo

Post by mo »

Norton AntiVirus 2002 which I do leave running in the background.

I did disable virus protection during several of the recent checks and tests and this made no difference...however I don't think you disable antivirus programs simply by "disabling" them.

Another question to be asked: this was an upgrade...did we all upgrade over an exsting version...did anyone with this problem uninstall the old version before upgrading? (not me!)
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
crassius

related???

Post by crassius »

Is it possible that this could be related to the failure of textpad to open files without crashing when the context menu is used?
jpoling

Visual Studio 2003?

Post by jpoling »

Visual Studio 2003 (i.e. .NET) sounds like the culprit to me!

Is TextPad 4.7.0 written using C++?

Microsoft has in their Knowledge Base an article #822677 that talks about incorrect code when optimizations are used.
aeromatt

Clean install - same thing

Post by aeromatt »

I recently did a clean install, with a new hard drive of Windows XP - Home. After some drivers were installed, the next thing I installed was Textpad. Same problems as before, with no settings changes to textpad at all. So, this must be isolated to certain hardware, if it doesn't occur in all systems.

In my install, i believe i tried Textpad even before I did the SP1 Update, as well as after.

Just to see if anyone has any common hardware, here's my list:

Soltek motherboard with VIA KT266A chipset
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000 vivo card (Catalyst 3.6 drivers)
Atholon XP 1700
2 Maxtor drives
Verbatim/LiteON 52x24x52 CD-RW drive
Toshiba 1712 DVD drive

That's it. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Just wanting to know if there's a common factor here. Happy debugging!
M T
kanniballl

Post by kanniballl »

mo wrote: Another question to be asked: this was an upgrade...did we all upgrade over an exsting version...did anyone with this problem uninstall the old version before upgrading? (not me!)
I uninstalled 4.6.2 before installing 4.7. However, I installed 4.7 over 4.5 on another machine (trial ver) and the same problem exists.

On that machine, Windows XP Pro and VS 6.0 were installed, and Mcafree Antivirus was installed and running in the background.

My Hardware Spec's

Intel P4 2.4GHz (533MHz FSB)
ASUS P4B533 Motherboard
768MB RAM - DDR 2100
Lite-On LTR-24102B CDRW (24x CDRW)
WD 80GB HD w/ 8MB Cache
WD 40GB HD

Main Software
Windows XP Pro (with all updates)
Visual Studio .Net 2003
Office XP Standard

Background Apps
AOL Instant Messenger
Task Manager

- Chris
OrbMan

Post by OrbMan »

I have problems on a machine with AVG Antivirus as well as another machine with Norton.

Drxenos

installation

Post by Drxenos »

mo wrote:Norton AntiVirus 2002 which I do leave running in the background.

Another question to be asked: this was an upgrade...did we all upgrade over an exsting version...did anyone with this problem uninstall the old version before upgrading? (not me!)
That's a good question. I installed it as an upgrade to 4.5.
RikTheRik

Post by RikTheRik »

OrbMan wrote:I have problems on a machine with AVG Antivirus as well as another machine with Norton.

I have the same issues with offline files on my laptop (windows 2000 sp4).

Erik.
joshrodman

Away! Return to 4.6.2

Post by joshrodman »

I have encountered the same problem that is being described time and time again, but in a network environment. It has been really frustrating.

I agree with the fellow that suggested that 4.7.0 should be retracted, until this problem is fixed. It IS a problem with TextPad 4.7, for the simple reason that uninstalling 4.7 and returning to 4.6.2 yields no problem doing the same operation.

I too have an XP Pro machine, this seems to be a common denominator-- everybody has XP (more often Pro, but sometimes Home, too). The compilation of Textpad in visual studio of a new version should be regarded as a highly suspicious potential cause for this behavior.
idf

Re: Away! Return to 4.6.2

Post by idf »

joshrodman wrote:I have encountered the same problem that is being described time and time again, but in a network environment. It has been really frustrating.

I agree with the fellow that suggested that 4.7.0 should be retracted, until this problem is fixed. It IS a problem with TextPad 4.7, for the simple reason that uninstalling 4.7 and returning to 4.6.2 yields no problem doing the same operation.

I too have an XP Pro machine, this seems to be a common denominator-- everybody has XP (more often Pro, but sometimes Home, too). The compilation of Textpad in visual studio of a new version should be regarded as a highly suspicious potential cause for this behavior.
Well, I agree with most of what you wrote. I started this thread. But I don't agree about XP; I use Windows 2000.
OrbMan

It is not OS-specific

Post by OrbMan »

...take that out of the equation.