Slightly OT:Monospaced Fonts

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

merlsub, it looks fine, but, I can only choose bold and bold italic... :roll:
(I'm currently trying to port Luxi mono from Linux to Windows, that's converting Type1 font to TTF, so far no luck, if anyone here has it as a TTF pls PM me so I can take a look, Luxi mono is now my prime suspect as monospace in Linux :wink: )
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

You can get a font called Luxi Mono as a TTF via http://oooconv.free.fr/fontooo/index_en.html, following the link to http://oooconv.free.fr/fontooo/packs/ and downloading the AllTrueTypeFonts.zip package.

Hope it's the one you are after.

Cheers,

Steve
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Thx for the pointer SteveH. This font looks like the one I converted from Type1 to TTF (with mo's help). It looks thin and jagged in under size 14 or so where as the Luxi Mono in Fedora Core 3 is at it's very best in those sizes. On the bright side, it looks like I've finally narrowed my search down to Luxi. If you'd like to see it in Fedora Core 3, PM your email and I'll send you screenshots.
Then I open up and see
a different way to be
charles

Monospaced font

Post by charles »

Have you ever tried Raize ?
It's free. The only problem is that it (unlike Courier New, but like Courier) cannot be anti-aliased regardless of (Win) OS settings ...
http://www.raize.com/DevTools/Tools/RzFont.asp
jumpfroggy

Post by jumpfroggy »

I'd been looking, a couple of different times, and I'm glad to say I'm using the Proggy fonts... best one I've seen so far.

Wouldn't it make sense though to have a feature where you could use any font as a monospace font? Since it's monospaced you wouldn't have to worry about kerning and all that, simply place the same letters out on a grid... Am I oversimplifying? Many times I've wished that I could just use arial or tahoma as a monospace, since the characters are pretty readable.
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

s_reynisson wrote:It looks thin and jagged in under size 14 or so where as the Luxi Mono in Fedora Core 3 is at it's very best in those sizes.
If you have XP, you can try different settings for antialiasing (Control Panel | Display | Appearance | Effects), "Cleartype" looks less jagged, but also a bit fuzzy, making it hard to look at text for longer periods.
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Yes, I'm aware of that Cleartype/Laptop thingy, but the diffrence was so much that there was no point in testing is. The imported font was just way off.
Then I open up and see
a different way to be
tcebob

Post by tcebob »

I have had reasonable luck with Monospace821 BT, which seems pretty prevalent. However, I have my setup to Fixedsys (1024x768). Works fine.

tcebob