Additional attributes for syntax highlighting

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is this feature for future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
54%
Somewhat important
28%
I'm okay either way
12%
Somewhat unimportant
4%
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected
2%

Total votes: 102

skaemper

It's only sleeping

Post by skaemper »

as long as any enhancement suggestion rates in the top ten (or top twenty) of all suggestions, I think no thread is a dead thread.

They're like volcanoes, they're never dead - just sleeping, to blow off in the right moment...

And currently it's on the 3rd place, following 'code folding' and 'editable macros'...

Cheers
"It's POLYMORPHIC!"
A former colleague
mkdna2

will this come

Post by mkdna2 »

hm ... i can't find any textpad-developers statement here ...
will this feature be implemented or not ?
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Difficult to say, see bbadmin's post over here, you may read whatever into it you like!
I have yet to see some sort of "road map" for TP, perhaps it's to much to ask for in such a "small" project or maybe just to much information for the competition. There's also the risk of promising the customers something you then later on can't deliver, just ask the "bright sparks" in marketing over here. ;)
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
dougcrews

Syntax file inheritance

Post by dougcrews »

Would be very nice if syntax definitions could inherit from others.

For example, SQLJ, AspectJ, J2EE, J2ME, JSP, JSF, and about six million other *J* acronyms all have custom syntax which extends the Java language.

Thus, whenever Sun releases a new version of Java, all the related syntax files must be updated by hand. Ouch!
Angantyr

Re: background coloring

Post by Angantyr »

Stephen Black wrote:Another thing (I haven't found this mentioned yet) I'd like is to have the background color extend to the right edge of the window in the absence of syntax that resets it. My personal use for this is in coloring comments. I like to use the background color to provide a very clear distinction between text and code, especially for block comments that begin files and functions. However, this isn't very effective when the right edge of the comment looks ragged. If the background color extended to the right edge of the window or page as long as the comment had not been terminated by a non-newline character then this provides very bold delineation between major blocks of code.

--Steve
I realize that this is a personal preference thing and I mean no disrespect to Steve, but please, TextPad, don't implement this...or at least don't force it. Make it an option, but please don't hardcode it. I like the way TextPad handles single line comments just fine. In my opinion, extending the background color on single line comments makes things look unnecessarily cluttered, especially when there are lots of comments. So...please make it an option if you are even considering adding this "feature."

As for bold, italics and underscores, I'm all for that. :)
Pibka

Re: Additional attributes for syntax highlighting

Post by Pibka »

skaemper wrote:I'd (still) like to see additional attributes added to the possibilities of syntax higlighting, especially bold, italics and underline.
This is a very usefull feature, only InterDev supports at the moment and the reason, why it is so important is printout. Here you can see keywords without printing color and this is very important!
Kind Regards

Pibka