How to add compile tool.

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Brett

How to add compile tool.

Post by Brett »

I've downloaded and installed textpad recently and noticed I have no tools under preferences. Does anyone know how I can add a tool to compile and also one to run my code? Thanks for the help.
Peter

Re: How to add compile tool.

Post by Peter »

Go to Configure -> preferences
Click on the Tools in the tree. Click on the Add button. You can now add the preconfigured Java Tools or configure your own.
Robert Jennings

Post by Robert Jennings »

Actually, that works ONLY if it can find 'java.exe'

First of all I install Java into C;\JDK13 (without the period between the 1 and the 3)
This makes life alot simpler.
It eliminates the "DOS long file name".

From a DOS window type "java -version".
If that executes, then PATH is setup correctly.
If not, goto AUTOEXEC.BAT and add the line

PATH=%PATH%;C:\JDK13;C:\JDK13\BIN\;.;..

Certain problems go away by adding the single period (my current directory.) and the the double period (the parent directory of my current directory). The semi-colon seperates path entries.
MIKO

Post by MIKO »

I downloaded textpad,but i can't seem to get the compiler on.I went to
configure->preference->tools->add... How and where would i find the
preconfigured java tools....(compiler)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thats a really good question...
Gerry Matte

Post by Gerry Matte »

The help menu for Textpad 4.5 (Frequently Asked Questions) can be searched for the keyword "java" to find out how to use the java development kit. The text displayed is below. This procedure was entirely successful for my Win2000 system with a JDK1.3 install using JBuilder5. JBuilder installs the bundled JDK into a non standard directory - which textpad successfully located.

Did you install the JDK before you ran Textpad ?

Textpad Help File Contents: =================

The Java Development Kit (JDK) is a product from Sun Microsystems for developing Java applications. It can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com/. We do not support it in any way (except for the interface with TextPad, described below), so please check that web page for support information.

Very Important: To be able to use it with TextPad, the JDK must be installed using its setup program. This writes information to the registry, which TextPad cannot work without.

After you have installed the JDK, as described in its installation instructions, you can add commands to compile and run Java applications and applets to TextPad's Tools menu as follows:

1. From the Configure menu, choose Preferences.

2. Select the Tools page on the Preferences dialog box.

3. Click Add.

4. Select "JDK Commands" from the drop down menu.

5. Click OK.

You can assign shortcuts to any of these commands using the Keyboard page on the Preferences dialog box.

Notes:

The option to add JDK commands only appears on that menu, if none of your tools runs JAVAC.EXE, JAVA.EXE or APPLETVIEWER.EXE.
The JDK commands are automatically added to the Tools menu, if the JDK is installed before TextPad is first run on a PC.
Do not attempt to capture the output of a Java application which reads from standard input. The Command Results window is output only, so you will not be able to type responses into it.
latoya

Post by latoya »

I downloaded the JDK and re-installed textpad but I still can't get the compile and run tools to work. Can anyone help explain how to do this.