Focus not switching to find/file open dialog boxes

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

rollingjay

Focus not switching to find/file open dialog boxes

Post by rollingjay »

Textpad v9.4.1 (64-bit Edition)

May affect other dialogs.

Intermittently when doing a File Open or Find, the focus can't be switched to the respective dialog boxes.

Any characters typed are sent to the open document - behind the dialog so not immediately obvious.

Dialogs cannot be dismissed so the process has to be killed.

I haven't seen any discernible pattern yet.

I have a colleague who has seen the same so it's probably not my configuration.

They are on Windows 10, I am on 11.
AmigoJack

Re: Focus not switching to find/file open dialog boxes

Post by AmigoJack »

rollingjay wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:51 pmDialogs cannot be dismissed so the process has to be killed.
How? You cannot use the mouse to focus the dialog window to then close it (pressing ESC or its X button on the upper right side)?

If that means they're behind TextPad's main window, then just move and/or size the main window to reach the dialog window. However, if they have the focus but aren't visible to you, then simply press Alt+Space to get those windows' system menu, to then choose "move". Then you can freely move that window via cursor keys and/or mouse, to bring it to a place where you finally see it. This works for any window, unbound to TextPad alone.
rollingjay

Post by rollingjay »

The dialog is in the foreground but keystrokes including escape are not sent to the dialog box.
The dialog's X button may work but I'll have to wait until it occurs again to be sure. That would at least prevent having to kill the process.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

I've not seen this behavior. File Open/Save-As is what's called a modal dialog box, so Windows forces it to have input focus. The Find/Replace/Find-in-Files dialog boxes are modeless, which means they remain topmost, but can lose input focus to other parts of the user interface. The fact that you're getting this behavior with both types of dialog box, and we've had no other reports of it, suggests there's something unusual about your systems. When it happens, can you force them to accept input by clicking with the mouse in one of their edit boxes?