OK to Create by Restart Manager

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

davephx

OK to Create by Restart Manager

Post by davephx »

I found a year old reference to this but no solution. The problem just started a few months ago. When I exit Textpad after closing files I always get:

OK to create 'C:\Program Files\Texpad8/estartByRestartManager: (long string of stuff seems related to a registry entry?

It is a nuisance to have to say NO each time and used Textpad for decades and this only started recently. Don't see any preference that should cause this?

Using TextPad 8.12.0 (64 bit edition)
WayneCa

Post by WayneCa »

I just started seeing this also. I don't know what caused it to start doing this, but in the past two weeks I've had to click No every time I use TextPad.

Edit: More information

It happens after I close the app. I always make sure the files are saved and that the workspace file (if there is one) is also saved. Yet, every time, the app reopens and I am prompted to set a restart time with the restart manager. I click no every time because I don't need this.

TextPad 8.12.0 (64-bit)
WayneCa

Post by WayneCa »

I did some checking yesterday. Restart Manager is part of Windows. Why it has decided that TextPad needs to be scheduled for a restart I don't know. I have not yet figured out a way to make it stop.
WayneCa

Post by WayneCa »

I just spent time with a Microsoft support agent and I think I may have a clue what is happening. Can't say for sure, as I am not intimately familiar with the inner workings of TextPad. Anyway, it may be that TextPad is not closing out correctly and is causing the restart manager to issue a request to restart the app.

Per suggestion by the support agent, I am going to reinstall TextPad and see if that changes anything.
WayneCa

Post by WayneCa »

I just installed 8.14.0 64-bit and the first time I use it, I get this as soon as I close the app.

Since this only happens with TextPad I have to assume something internal to the app is happening.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

We have not been able to reproduce this problem, but the symptoms are that TextPad is crashing on exit and Restart Manager is kicking in to restart it. We have created a build which disables Restart Manager, so when TextPad crashes it should create a dump file. Please will you download this zip file and try out the enclosed textpad.exe:

textpad8-14-1.zip

Extract TextPad.exe to a temporary location and run it from there. Then on Configure/Preferences/Backup, turn off the option to Automatically Save.

If it creates a dump file on exit, please send it to us.
Last edited by bbadmin on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
WayneCa

Post by WayneCa »

bbadmin wrote:Extract TextPad.exe to a temporary location and run it from there. If it creates a dump file on exit, please send it to us.
Where would this dump file be created? I have run it many times, exiting with various conditions and there is no dump file in the folder where the workspace file is or in the test folder I created for this version of TextPad.

I have noticed many times that it happens after saving the workspace file, usually after an intense session of adding, deleting and editing the files in the workspace. There's just no set pattern to it happening, so I have not been able to isolate a specific instance of it.

I will continue to use it and see if it happens while using it, and if I get a dump file I will definitely make sure you get it.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Thanks for your feedback.

Dump files are created in your %temp% folder. (Just type that in the address bar of Windows Explorer and press Return). You will be informed by a message box if one is created.
WayneCa

Post by WayneCa »

I am not getting any dump files, but I am getting this periodically:

Any changes I made were already saved without me saving them, and the only application open with editing capability for the files I'm editing is TextPad, and only the one instance. So, I have no idea what "other app" is updating the files. I get the impression TextPad is crashing and whatever crash protection you have built-in is doing its job.

Before I forget again, 8.14.0 has a nasty bug where when you use the replace all function of the replace dialog, doesn't matter if it's the current document, all documents or selected text, the viewport gets screwed up and line numbers below the current line disappear. It's not fatal though. I can save the file, close TextPad and relaunch it and everything is fine. This test version you gave me isn't doing it... at least so far, so I don't know if that's related to the problem or not.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Please turn off the option to Automatically Save on Configure/Preferences/Backup.
WayneCa

Post by WayneCa »

bbadmin wrote:Please turn off the option to Automatically Save on Configure/Preferences/Backup.
I always had that turned off, so I don't know how it got turned back on.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Missed your question about Replace All. Yes, this build should fix any problems with that.
WayneCa

Post by WayneCa »

The only part that was a question related to if it might have something to do with the issue. The issue with replace all occurred in 8.14.0. It has not occurred in 8.14.1.

Also, I have found that I can't select case-sensitivity on the incremental find. That was not broken in 8.14.0.

I have been working on my files all day and still haven't gotten a dump file that I know of. You never did say what filename it would have. I get many 0-length files named mat-debug-<some 4 or 5 digit number>.log files though. (examples: mat-debug-2768.log, mat-debug-31136.log) The numbers are never consecutive or even in numerical order, so I have no clue what they indicate.

There is one new file today that is named only ".ses". Its contents are:

1F397A7C-7A89-4107-89F4-5A5CADD05A9F
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

We were unable to reproduce this, but have made a change which may help. This is in release 8.14.2 which is now available for download.
dholeman

Re: OK to Create by Restart Manager

Post by dholeman »

I am having this exact issue now for over two years. In the past textpad would restart with no documents open but now the documents that were open when I closed it are reopened when it pops back up with the ok to restart by restartmanager message. I have reinstalled textpad a number of times to get it to stop but to no avail. I've searched the windows registry for any possible associated keys but none are obvious. Any suggestions to stop it would be appreciated.