textPad 8.0.2: edit EXISTING file causes Save As

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kevinHealy

textPad 8.0.2: edit EXISTING file causes Save As

Post by kevinHealy »

I just upgraded from a recent version of TextPad 7 to TextPad 8.0.2.

(Aside to the TextPad developers: thank you for continually working to enhance your product! I love Textpad 8's Unicode support, and your file comparison tool is a huge improvement.)

It has mostly been trouble free, but I sometimes see one strange behavior that a skim of this forum does not seem to have been reported yet.

Specifically, I can be editing an EXISTING file, and TextPad will bring up the Save As dialog when I did not expect it to.

This has happened to me several times. Now that I am paying more careful attention, I am 99% sure that when it has happened, it was always right after I hit ctrl-s. The document should have simply been saved right then and there, but instead, the Save As dialog appeared. I for sure did not type F12. I also note that not every time that I hot ctrl-s does this happen, only a minority of the time, which makes it hard to diagnose.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Is it a bug?
Last edited by kevinHealy on Tue May 03, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Take a look under Configure/Preferences/Backup, and see if the option to "Automatically save every "n" minutes is enabled.
kevinHealy

Post by kevinHealy »

bbadmin wrote:Take a look under Configure/Preferences/Backup, and see if the option to "Automatically save every "n" minutes is enabled.
Thanks for your reply.

I do indeed have that preference set, however:

1) I have had it set for probably 15+ years now, and have never seen the behavior described in my initial post until I started using TextPad 8. So, TextPad 8 has changed something.

2) since my initial posting, I have seen it happen 2 more times, and now that I am paying more careful attention, I can confirm that it always happened right after I typed ctrl-s. (I need to edit that post...)

3) even if it was that preference triggering, why does TextPad 8 ask me to "Save As" instead of just "Save"? With "Save As", when you click OK, you then get a warning that it will overwrite the file.
davephx

Post by davephx »

Wow, this has been driving me batty also.

I've used for a decade plus and didn't recall this issue before.

Yes, I want to save every 5 minutes but when I do so or hit Control/S it brings up Explorer in the default directory, not the one that I have already saved once the file in. And as the prior note says its "save as." I don't want to have to find the file that is already open and reselect it to "save as". I just want to "save" it in the same file it is in, and I am working on.

Likewise, if you hit the save icon - again I have to go through the finding the file (which I am working on) and save as....

Most other programs (Word etc.rountine) far easier to periodically save the file your working on to be sure don't lose it without having to go through the routine and find the file again...which your already working on - if that makes sense.

Using Win10 latest. Textpad 7.6.2 which when check for updates says it is the latest available. I don't have any use for the added stuff in Ver 8 but seems that doesn't solve the save as issue.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Have you enabled "Working folder follows active document" on the General preferences page?
kevinHealy

Post by kevinHealy »

bbadmin wrote:Take a look under Configure/Preferences/Backup, and see if the option to "Automatically save every "n" minutes is enabled.
I installed the latest TextPad (8.9.0) on a brand new computer recently.

I started seeing this "Save As" bug in this new version of TextPad, and it was because I had set that option to "Automatically save every...".

Unchecking that option stopped this bug.

But I hope that the bug gets fixed some day.
kevinHealy

Post by kevinHealy »

bbadmin wrote:Have you enabled "Working folder follows active document" on the General preferences page?
That "Working folder follows active document" option does not trigger this bug.

I just installed the latest TextPad (8.9.0), and I have that option checked, and it does not trigger this bug.
fulbore

Re: textPad 8.0.2: edit EXISTING file causes Save As

Post by fulbore »

Still a problem in 9.4.1
bbadmin
Site Admin

Re: textPad 8.0.2: edit EXISTING file causes Save As

Post by bbadmin »

If TextPad cannot save to a file, perhaps because it's read-only, or its timestamp has changed since it was opened, or the original no longer exists, the Save As dialog box is displayed to alert you.

If this doesn't explain the behaviour you're seeing, what kind of filesystem are your files on?