TP 9.2.0 keyboard shortcuts

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Willem

TP 9.2.0 keyboard shortcuts

Post by Willem »

In previous versions of TextPad, I always used F10 to delete a line (I assigned that function key to that action).
But in TextPad 9, that doesn't work properly anymore. It seems that F10 is already assigned to entering the menu bar and it seems you can't turm that off. So what happens is that when I click on F10, the active line is deleted AND the menu bar is entered. Is there a way to disable entering the menu bar?
AmigoJack

Re: TP 9.2.0 keyboard shortcuts

Post by AmigoJack »

This also happens by default in TextPad 8 and any other window with a menu, just like it was introduced with Windows 95 (or even Windows 3): F10 enters the window menu. Go try it with other programs, preferably Notepad, Calculator, Paint, Notepad++. It's unusual that you achieved to prevent this Windows feature in TextPad.

Let me cite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_key#Windows/MS-DOS:
F10 generally activates the menu bar
In Windows it pretty much cannot be reassigned, just like pressing Alt enters the menu, too.
Willem

Post by Willem »

In my remembrance, it worked well in TextPad 8. I mean, I could assign F10 to deleting a line and when I used it, the menu bar wasn't activated.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

This works for me. Did you remember to click the Assign button after choosing the F10 key as the shortcut?
Willem

Post by Willem »

Yes, I assigned the key and clicked on Apply.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

I've tested it on Windows 10 and 11 without any problems. Could some other software on your system be interfering?

Try resetting all shortcuts and then applying the F10 one. If you've made a lot of other shortcut changes, backup %APPDATA%\Helios\TextPad\9\custom.bnd before doing so. If you need to restore it, close all instances of TextPad first.
Willem

Post by Willem »

Thanks for your help. I tried your recommendations, but unfortunately it didn't help. I have chosen F11 now in stead of F10 and that works fine for me.