Allow multiple instances to run

Known problems and workarounds

Moderators: helios, bbadmin

bbadmin
Site Admin

Allow multiple instances to run

Post by bbadmin »

When the setting for "Allow multiple instances to run" is changed, TextPad writes the change to its configuration file, ready to be read by the next instance of TextPad to start. However, if multiple instances are already running, this setting change may be lost, because the configuration file is rewritten as each instance closes.

In general, if you want to make persistent changes to TextPad's configuration, do it when only one instance is running, or make sure to exit last from the instance in which you made the changes.
PCPete

Post by PCPete »

I'm sorry to have to say this, but that doesn't seem to work on my fresh w7 Ultimate x64 system.

If I start just one instance of Textpad, then change the preference (clear the checkbox next to "Allow multiple instances to run", then save and exit, then start one instance, then open a file in Explorer using the Edit or Open with... options, another instance is started.

However, if I choose "Textpad" from the file's context menu, it opens in the existing instance just fine.

I'm happy to provide whatever is needed to fix this old, old problem once and for ever!

-Pete
[UPDATE]Hmmm... Now, if I double-click an associated file in explorer, Textpad opens the file. However, if I choose "Edit" or "Open with..." in the context menu - on the same file, but with no other instances of TP open - I get the annoying "Create folder" bug. Could they be related?[/UPDATE]
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Can't reproduce your problem here. In case you've got some incorrect entries in the registry, try clearing all context menu entries and associations with TextPad, and starting again.
Georg

Post by Georg »

PCPete wrote:If I start just one instance of Textpad, then change the preference (clear the checkbox next to "Allow multiple instances to run", then save and exit, then start one instance, then open a file in Explorer using the Edit or Open with... options, another instance is started.
This happens with a *.txt file when you
- did configure to "Replace Notepad"
and
- did not add ".txt" to the Associated Files.

So explorer wants to start notepad and a new instance of TextPad starts.
ktory

The Open with context menu ignores single instant setting

Post by ktory »

In 7.X, you get two options in the context menu on right click, open, and open in instance. I don't like this, since I have already indicated that I do not want to allow multiple instances to run. No means no. I have to go through 2 extra clicks every type I want to open a .bat, .sql,or some other file that is not a .txt.
However, in 8.X, it is much worse. There is only a single entry in the right click menu, and it totally ignores my setting to not allow multiple instances to run.
I've been a paying user (multiple licenses for multiple users in the office) for more than a decade, but this is making me look for another editor.
lklawrie

Post by lklawrie »

Looks like 8.2 removed the "Open in existing session" from context menu. Plus, you can't revert to an older version because you can't install Textpad over a newer version.

HEY SUPPORT? WHERE ARE YOU?
Linda
gxdata

Post by gxdata »

Georg wrote:
PCPete wrote:If I start just one instance of Textpad, then change the preference (clear the checkbox next to "Allow multiple instances to run", then save and exit, then start one instance, then open a file in Explorer using the Edit or Open with... options, another instance is started.
This happens with a *.txt file when you
- did configure to "Replace Notepad"
and
- did not add ".txt" to the Associated Files.

So explorer wants to start notepad and a new instance of TextPad starts.
I may have this problem, not sure?

For some time, before purchasing in July 2021 and since - and with versions back to 7 - I have used the file extension .ASC for plain text files (ie, ASCII - independent of any encoding).

Also, for years, I have used Replace Notepad - it has worked OK always as far as I know. Unsure if it affects what is described below.

To my current problem #1, with TextPad v8.42 -

I cannot - despite trying every configuration I can think of - I cannot open a .txt file from Windows File Manager and have it use the already-open TextPad instance.

I have the situation frequently where I have 4 separate instances open.

Because it's not possible to drag and drop, my recourse is to close all except one then open each again (I save the link in Windows memory as I go) - very awkward.

Of course there are situations when I want 2 (or more) instances of TextPad open, but that is manageable I'm sure.
gxdata