Confused about version numbers

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ineuw

Confused about version numbers

Post by ineuw »

I am happy with any version number because they all work well, and meet my needs.

But, I wonder that I downloaded version 8.90 a year ago and now, the download list is 8.12.

I am just curious, like the proverbial cat.
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

I suspect that you downloaded version 8.9 a year ago, not version 8.90.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Apologies. I assumed seeing periods where they were none. Inattention does have its drawbacks.

https://imagesharing.com//photo.php?s=m3rns8xv
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

This is impossible, because as of 2021-09-25 you still stated to use 8.8.0, which is not one year ago and not 8.9.0. The version 8.9.0 is available since 2021-10-07 - the "News" page will also tell you all other versions with dates, so you can check yourself there has never been a "90".
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

AmigoJack wrote:This is impossible, because as of 2021-09-25 you still stated to use 8.8.0, which is not one year ago and not 8.9.0. The version 8.9.0 is available since 2021-10-07 - the "News" page will also tell you all other versions with dates, so you can check yourself there has never been a "90".
@AmigoJack, you are wasting your energies on my inattentive state of mind. Add to that, my impatience and the small print.

I make a lot of mistakes, and not just here. It's time for TextPad to increase their website font sizes. Also, let me clear up a possible confusion as to why I have two registered versions.

I am dual booting between Windows 10 and Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 where I installed TextPad and Irfanview in Wine. I am leaving Windows and gradually converting my data drives to ext4 where these Wine installations function just as well.

That is how I discovered the different versions, but did not pay close attention to the version segments.

I can't give up TextPad and Irfanview. These are fundamental to my editing work on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and Wikisource.

There is no such a thing as a Linux text editor. There are plenty of code editors, and I tried them all. Some offer one or two of TP's features but they lack the intuition that is inherent in TextPad and Irfanview.