Slow opening files in Dropbox

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

pulauten

Slow opening files in Dropbox

Post by pulauten »

Long time I used TextPad evaluation version 8.4.0 happily. Recently I got the bad idea to pay for the program. What a terrible mistake. I paid those 16 pounds and upgraded to the latest version 8.9.0.

I am using TextPad to open files on Dropbox. Version 8.4.0 on my laptop with Win10 works fine. 8.9.0 on my PC lags as hell when opening any file on Dropbox. On normal files that are not synced with Dropbox it works ok.
I reinstalled TextPad, no effect. I would like to downgrade to 8.4.0 but that version is not on this web. I cannot use 7.* version because it cannot work with UTF8 well (it is version 7 so what would you expect).

I wrote a mail to support, got one useless answer and more nobody reacted. I created account here on the forum and waited for a week until some admin verified me.

So finally I am here - can someone help me so that I don't have to regret paying the money so much?

Thanks.
AmigoJack

Re: Slow opening files in Dropbox

Post by AmigoJack »

Long time I used TextPad evaluation version 8.4.0 happily. Recently I got the bad idea to pay for the program. What a terrible mistake. I paid those 16 pounds and upgraded to the latest version 8.9.0.
Why not evaluating 8.9.0? Was it really a mistake to pay for a software that you actually used in the past? Or was the only mistake to use a software (version) you've never tested before?

open files on Dropbox
I'm too oldschool: for me Dropbox is some website and in long terms a file hoster. But how a local software is able to open a file that only remotely exists on the internet and off your file system is a miracle to me, while it seems totally normal to you. Have you tried other software (speak: editors) where you can "open" Dropbox content the same way? How do those behave - is TextPad the only one being slow? How about drawing a line, i.e. downloading and uploading files unbound to any Dropbox blackbox and then operate on those local files? How can you be sure this is not a problem of Dropbox? It must come with its own software - and you're sure it doesn't shift versions?

8.4.0 but that version is not on this web
Welcome to the internet with its many websites. One of the more useful ones is the Wayback Machine that takes snapshots and as such still has old downloads like TextPad 8.4.2 available. Since the installation files are rather tiny I suggest saving those this time instead of deleting them right away, especially since storage nowadays costs next to nothing. Or upload it to Dropbox.