Stay On Top A Problem Again!!!! HELP!!!!

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

PhilKE3FL

Stay On Top A Problem Again!!!! HELP!!!!

Post by PhilKE3FL »

Today 9/29/21 I noticed I can NOT get Textpad back to NOT being on top. I've tried both:

1. TextPad 7.6.2 This no longer works with using: Alt-Space-T. This no longer shows a tool to turn on/off stay on top.

2. Even going to: Configure | Preferences | Keyboard | Categories: View | Commands: StayOnTop - only continues to keep it on top there seems to be no way to get it back to NOT BEING ON TOP! HELP!
Phil KE3FL
PhilKE3FL

Post by PhilKE3FL »

FYI: I am using Windows 7
Phil KE3FL
PhilKE3FL

Oops, quick draw gets me again

Post by PhilKE3FL »

It turns out that Alt-Space then LOOK at the drop down and select T works just fine, but Alt-Space-T does NOT - go figure, bad instructions to myself on my part.
Phil KE3FL
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

SPACE and T are two character keys, while ALT is one of the shift/mode keys (other shift keys are the actual SHIFT, CTRL, ALT GR and sometimes even INS). So logic wise it doesn't make sense to press two character keys at once (it'd be like typing text and you could not predict if space or T comes first and the other second).

ALT+SPACE opens the system menu of a window. There, one entry has an underlined T (accelerator key). Simply pressing the underlined letter will auto-choose that item. That's why you must do both things apart.

TextPad even has this itself: look at Configure > Block Select Mode: it comes with the key combination CTRL+Q, B and it is really meant like that, not CTRL+Q+B, because CTRL+Q needs to be pressed (and released) first, then Q alone.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

In order to prevent TextPad from staying on top of other windows, you will need to implement the following procedure:

From the Configure menu choose:

1. Preferences
2. View
3. Uncheck the option to "Stay on top of other windows"
4. Click Apply / OK.

I hope this helps.
PhilKE3FL

No Check Box this way!

Post by PhilKE3FL »

bbadmin - thanks but...
From the Configure menu choose:

1. Preferences
2. View
3. Uncheck the option to "Stay on top of other windows"
4. Click Apply / OK.
In my menu there is NO check box only the words "StayOnTop" no spaces no check box. If I click on that option then it turns stay on top to ON even if it is already ON it just stays ON.
Phil KE3FL
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Are you sure you're looking at the same option? bbadmin is referring to this Preferences option:
PhilKE3FL

Post by PhilKE3FL »

ak47wong,

Thanks for that. Now I can't for the life of me remember how I got to where I got that showed "StayOnTop" as an option with no check box! I now wish I'd taken a screen shot of it.

It's all so obvious now, why was my head so blind before? I'll blame it in my age ;-)

Ha, found it! Look at: Config / Keyboard / categories=View / Commands=StayOnTop

So, I assigned a key combination: Ctrl-' And it works AOK. Now, can I remember it for later use, that is the question...
Phil KE3FL