Can you have multiple versions on one computer

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

LeeW53

Can you have multiple versions on one computer

Post by LeeW53 »

I'm attempting to setup one version on my primary landscape monitor and a second version for use on one of my portrait monitors.

What I'd like to do is have the ability for one version to ALWAYS open on a specific monitor as well as have different Workspaces opened by specific TextPad versions on the correct monitor.

Is there anyway to accomplish this short of creating a VM on one of the portrait monitors?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

No.

You can install multiple TextPad versions in parallel, but it's still up to you to start and position the version as per you favorite monitor.

Starting TextPad by doubleclicking on one of its associated file types still works like any other software: it is unrelated on which monitor the doubleclick happens and there is also no configuration per monitor as to which program should start, because it's related to the whole account (and as such to the whole desktop, not just parts of it).

What works perfectly: i.e. install TextPad 7 and associate only SQL files with it; install TextPad 8 and associate only PHP and JS files with it... and so on.
LeeW53

Post by LeeW53 »

AmigoJack,

Thank you, that does help.
LeeW53

Follow-up

Post by LeeW53 »

I have two versions of TextPad installed. I renamed the EXE for each as Textpad#.EXE so they are not confused.

I have two shortcuts. One opens on the landscape monitor and the other knows to open on the portrait monitor.

I also have different "Open With" on certain file types so they open where I need them and I can also define workspace's on specific versions and they remain "attached" to that version.

They both are setup to reopen the last workspace and they do just that with no overlap or problems.

This is EXACTLY what I was hopeful for and it works GREAT!
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

TextPad has a command line parameter which helps in this situation:

textpad.exe -f configfolder

Where configfolder is the absolute path to an alternate folder for storing TextPad's configuration files ConfigState.xml and GUIState.xml. This is documented in the help file. :)