Text File icon in Windows 10

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

JimmyJoeBob

Text File icon in Windows 10

Post by JimmyJoeBob »

I would like to change the "default icon" for text files in Windows 10 to TextPad's Big Blue "T". Can anybody tell me how to do this. I am using TextPad version 7.0.7. It works fine in Windows 10. My computer was originally a Windows 7 PC. I have another PC that was originally a Windows 8.1 PC. Its text file default icon is TextPad's Big Blue "T". Don't know how that happened. Want that in the other PC. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Wilkey(aka JimmyJoeBob)
gunfleet

Re: Text File icon in Windows 10

Post by gunfleet »

JimmyJoeBob wrote:I would like to change the "default icon" for text files in Windows 10 to TextPad's Big Blue "T". Can anybody tell me how to do this. I am using TextPad version 7.0.7. It works fine in Windows 10. My computer was originally a Windows 7 PC. I have another PC that was originally a Windows 8.1 PC. Its text file default icon is TextPad's Big Blue "T". Don't know how that happened. Want that in the other PC. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Wilkey(aka JimmyJoeBob)
I would like to know the answer to this also, I thought it was a Win 10 issue and rebuilt the icon cache, but it still shows the lined paper icon not the blue T
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Please try right clicking a .txt file in Explorer (or any other file extension you want TextPad to open by default) and choose Properties. Next to "Opens with" click the "Change" button. If TextPad isn't in the list, click on "More apps" and choose TextPad from there.

I hope this helps.
gunfleet

Post by gunfleet »

bbadmin wrote:Please try right clicking a .txt file in Explorer (or any other file extension you want TextPad to open by default) and choose Properties. Next to "Opens with" click the "Change" button. If TextPad isn't in the list, click on "More apps" and choose TextPad from there.

I hope this helps.
This is not the problem, txt files are associated with TextPad, it is the file icon used for TextPad, text files used to have the TextPad blue T logo, now the icon is a white lined paper
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I would suggest associating your text files back to Notepad and then re-associating them with TextPad, making sure you select the Always use this app to open .txt files check box.

Or try the steps on this page: How to Change the Icon for a Certain File Type in Windows

Also, you seem to have disabled BBCode formatting in your forum posts. Check the Always allow BBCode setting in your profile page and the Disable BBCode in this post check box when you're writing a post.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Windows 10 no longer has the dialog to pick your favorite icon per file type. You either have to look for 3rd party tools letting you do that (i.e. FileTypesMan), or you do that directly thru the Registry (which is how it worked since Win95).
you seem to have disabled BBCode formatting in your forum posts
No - it's because the QUOTE BBCode is used with a username attribute. Which stays unparsed. See This phpBB installation falls apart. And the preview is no help either.
gunfleet

Post by gunfleet »

I have tried the options suggested, e.g. I change txt files to always open with WPS office, the icon changes to the WPS icon, then I change back to always open txt files with TextPad and I get the white ruled paper icon, to be honest it's only a minor annoyance but I preferred the Blue T icon, which still shows as the app icon in the start menu and taskbar, just not for individual text files.
gunfleet

Post by gunfleet »

Just for information anyone with this issue still, it is resolved with the Windows 11 upgrade(?!) I have my nice blue T icon for text files