Always on top? How to undo.

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

RichPasco

Always on top? How to undo.

Post by RichPasco »

I've been using TextPad 7.6.4 happily for years, until tonight.
It's doing what other applications call "Always on top." If TextPad is open, then it is always on top of other applications, even when they have the keyboard focus. If I quit and restart TextPad, it comes up on top of other windows, even when they have the keyboard focus. What did I do to create this, and how can I undo it so that other apps may once again be on top of TextPad?
RichPasco

Found the Answer

Post by RichPasco »

It's not a TextPad thing, it's a Windows thing. Click in the margin of the TextPad window to bring up the Windows window and check or uncheck "Stay on Top."

AmigoJack

Re: Found the Answer

Post by AmigoJack »

RichPasco wrote:It's not a TextPad thing, it's a Windows thing
No, you won't find that entry in the default system menu. Go check by right clicking on the title bars of other windows, i.e. that of the Explorer or the calculator or Notepad any Office program.

There are several ways to display that menu (window icon, right click, ALT+SPACE...) and chances are you mis-clicked on it which ticked that entry instead of what you actually wanted to click.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Configure -> Preferences -> View,

Righthand side box, uncheck "Stay on top of other Windows"
PhilKE3FL

Stay on top of other windows

Post by PhilKE3FL »

Configure/View/ [x] Stay on top of other windows

What is the key combo that turns this on/off? I am ALWAYS accidentally turning it on while I'm typing. This should be a two-hand combination not one I can trip over almost every time I type, granted I have fat fingers but this is VERY annoying!

There has to be a key-combination that turns it on since I do NOT EVER want it on and yet it turns on while I'm typing!
Phil KE3FL
PhilKE3FL

Post by PhilKE3FL »

What is the key combo that turns this on/off? I am ALWAYS accidentally turning it on while I'm typing. This should be a two-hand combination not one I can trip over almost every time I type, granted I have fat fingers but this is VERY annoying!

There has to be a key-combination that turns it on since I do NOT EVER want it on and yet it turns on while I'm typing!
Phil KE3FL
PhilKE3FL

Post by PhilKE3FL »

What is the key combo that turns this on/off?
Phil KE3FL
PhilKE3FL

Post by PhilKE3FL »

Phil KE3FL
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

There isn't a default shortcut key for this, but you can set one using Configure/Preferences/Keyboard/View/StayOnTop.

As RichPasco wrote, it's also an option on the context menu for the main window, if you right click its title bar.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

This is the most confusing thread I've ever seen on this forum.