Find is not working - Replace is OK

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

terrypin

Find is not working - Replace is OK

Post by terrypin »

For the last few days, with at least one reboot of Win 10 during that period, I cannot bring up the Find dialog, Neither via the menu nor KB shortcut Ctrl+F. Yet Replace comes up as usual.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

The find dialog might be outside the visible screen.
Try this:

Use Search -> Find
Press Alt+Space - a window menu should appear.
Choose "Move"
press one of the cursor (arrow) keys.
The Find dialog should appear at the mouse pointer.
Move the mouse to place the dialog where you want to have it.
Click to drop the dialog there.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

CTRL+F only finds next, the initial search window is called via F5. See your program menu for the assigned keyboard shortcuts.

What MudGuard describes applies to every window, not just those of TextPad. And you need to be able to distinguish between "this window is active" and "another window has now the focus", which can be seen mostly by different window title colors - then you would at least know there IS another window active but I fail to see it anywhere (opposed to "I expect another window to be active, but my current one remains focused").
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

MudGuard wrote:The find dialog might be outside the visible screen.
I'll try searching for it that way the next time it occurs. I'm seem to be having a reprieve at the moment.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

AmigoJack wrote:CTRL+F only finds next, the initial search window is called via F5.
Not in my version, TextPad 7.6.3 (64-bit Edition).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsueea6fx3l0k ... 1.jpg?dl=0
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Your keys might have been reassigned at some point. If you open Help > Help Topics and view the Reference Information > The Keyboard topic, you'll see the default key bindings, which include:

Code: Select all

F Ctrl Find next instance of search pattern. 
F5     Invoke the Find dialog box. 
If you want to reset your key bindings to the defaults, click Configure > Preferences > Keyboard > Reset All. (Only do this if you want to restore all the key assignments to the default settings and lose any customised ones.)
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

ak47wong wrote:Your keys might have been reassigned at some point. If you open Help > Help Topics and view the Reference Information > The Keyboard topic, you'll see the default key bindings, which include:

Code: Select all

F Ctrl Find next instance of search pattern. 
F5     Invoke the Find dialog box. 
If you want to reset your key bindings to the defaults, click Configure > Preferences > Keyboard > Reset All. (Only do this if you want to restore all the key assignments to the default settings and lose any customised ones.)
Thanks, yes, I must have re-assigned those decades ago to the settings I regard as almost universal for Search/Find and Next, namely Ctrl+F and F3. (Notepad, Excel, Word, etc). Up there with standards like Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

Of course, it's a side issue anyway; as I said, the problem arises with all methods of accessing the function.

I've just updated to 7.6.4 as recommended by Support so hope that fixes this intermittent problem.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Problem returned today, with latest version!
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

And still occurring regularly.

Very exasperating!

Worse: previously I thought one (poor) work-around was to close and reopen TextPad. But that fails as soon as I maximise the window. After that it fails in all conditions.

This is 7.6.4 (64 bit)

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
terrypin

Find not working - more info

Post by terrypin »

[I get some quirky behaviour when composing messages on this site. Sometimes - not always - the Edit option appears to disappear a few minutes after posting, prompting a new post. And, as in the example below, images are not displayed.]

I've discovered significant clues to the cause of this issue and posted to Support.

It's associated with the position of the left edge of the TextPad
window. For example, if TextPad is at any time sized above a width over
about 1620 pixels (and therefore certainly if it's maximised) the Find
dialog window will be invisible because it's located beyond the left
hand edge of my 1920 x 1200 screen. And it REMAINS the case even if
TextPad is reduced in width. Similarly if, after restart, Textpad is
retained to a narrow width but it's located at the left of the screen,
the Find window will not be visible when activated.

It doesn't seem a widespread problem, given no other reports here,. But in case anyone does encounter it here's a work-around. Immediately after opening the Find window and discovering that it's invisible, hit Shift+Tab then Enter to close it, then reposition the Textpad window to the right hand side of the screen and try again.

P.S. I tried earlier to post this example of an intermediate state, with Find moving progressively closer to the left edge, but it didn't work:

Why is that image not displayed, neither when I preview nor after sending? I'll add a URL:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5md179qt4zj1y ... 1.jpg?dl=0
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Because it is a download, not a picture - websites displaying a picture are still a website and not a picture ONLY.