Can TextPad work with C#?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

357mag

Can TextPad work with C#?

Post by 357mag »

Can TextPad work with C#? Reason I ask is because I would imagine you would have to download some kind of C# Development Kit or SDK and I don't know if Microsoft allows that?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

"C#" is a language, TextPad is an editor. Whichever development environment you're using: if its options allow using an external editor then yes: you can use TextPad (just like any other editor). But (of course) it would lack highlighting breakpoints and miss features like evaluation and auto completion and all that. Not sure if you understand the differences between a software which is only an editor and a software which comes with a compiler, a debugger, an editor and much more tools for one or more programming languages.
357mag

Post by 357mag »

Code Editors are IN FACT used by programmers. They are. I was simply asking if this code editor can be used to program C#.

It's a simple question.

Code Editors are used to write code.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Code and text are interchangable, hence you can use TextPad for it. You asked for C# specifically - why not for code in general?
357mag

Post by 357mag »

I would need to know what to enter in the text field boxes. Where it says Command Line and Arguments and Path.

There isn't any videos on YouTube that talk about how to set TextPad up with C#, so if you have any knowledge of how to configure these boxes please post.
357mag

Post by 357mag »

I got it figured out. But I don't have C# Syntax Highlighting. Maybe there is a way to add that.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Seems like you're new to both TextPad (and executing programs in general) - have a look at all the syntax defintions available.
357mag

Post by 357mag »

I noticed that when I ran my program the output was in the not in a DOS window. Like it is with Java or C++. Don't know why this is.

And it doesn't look like TextPad can do Python.
357mag

Post by 357mag »

Least I don't see any syntax definition files for it.
357mag

Post by 357mag »

Okay I guess there are definition files for it. I didn't see them right away.