.INI (or other?) Text-Editble File to restore myTP Prefrncs?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

no.cache

.INI (or other?) Text-Editble File to restore myTP Prefrncs?

Post by no.cache »

What I was wondering is if my preferences � Syn, Font, Printer, Tabs, and other Textpad User Layout Preferences & Settings � is in a file somewhere from which I could quickly restore to the 64-Bit Windows 7.0 Pro computer I will build hopefully sometime before I'm in a walker lol?

I'm still on TP 7.5.1 (I know I know, just been busy) so as long as I'm here asking about 64-Bit, I might as well ask if it's possible for XP, as well? Thanks guys!
Trump.
Jesus wept.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

That'd be in C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\*\. Or in other words: in your Explorer path line enter %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\
no.cache

Post by no.cache »

Amigo Jack hey thanks for your reply. I can't get either of your solutions to work. What I was hoping to locate is an editable Textpad preferences file � something with a file extension so I can restore it. :idea:
Trump.
Jesus wept.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

In said folder all the files are there. Until you don't say what exactly doesn't "work" I assume you did it wrong or haven't even tried going down folder by folder.

A less direct approach would be to search for ConfigState.xml or *.TPM (the macros you created).
no.cache

Post by no.cache »

Well this certainly didn't help
C:\Documents and Settings\no.cache\Application Data\Helios\TextPad\7\
And there they are . . .
  • ConfigState.xml
  • GUIState.xml
What is my next step? Thank you so much, this is something I've been meaning to do for years! :mrgreen:
Trump.
Jesus wept.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

There's no next step: you asked for the files, there you have them.
no.cache

Post by no.cache »

I'm sorry to trouble you further AmigoJack but I've never worked with .XML files before. :oops: Is there a Textpad Tutorial/FAQ I can read? Thank you.
Trump.
Jesus wept.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I can't follow you: your initial request was to "restore" preferences - and this is it. With any installation you just overwrite existing files with these files - there's no need to understand XML (unless you wanted something else which you yet didn't wrote so far).
no.cache

Post by no.cache »

I guess I need to study XML (I thought it was a binary language).
Trump.
Jesus wept.