allow word definition (e.g. to include special chars)

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kevinHealy

allow word definition (e.g. to include special chars)

Post by kevinHealy »

Right now, if I double click on a string, Textpad selects the entire string only if that string does not contain any special chars (like punctuation).

In other words, it defines a word to be contiguous alpha-numeric chars, but does not include either whitespace (which I am OK with) nor special chars (which can be bad).

There are many times that I need a "word" to be defined as including special chars like punctuation.

For example: passwords. Many websites require at least one special char in their passwords. But Textpad's current word definition will not allow you to double click on such a password to select it. You have to manually swipe it with your mouse, which is very annoying.

The cure is that Textpad needs an option wherein a user can define what a word is.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

TextPad already has this feature. Click View > Document Properties > Syntax, then in Other characters in words enter the punctuation that you want to be considered as part of a word.

This only affects the current document. To make the change permanent, click Configure > Preferences, expand the Document Classes category and make the change in the Syntax tab for each document class as required.
kevinHealy

Post by kevinHealy »

ak47wong: thanks much for pointing that out.

The intent of that Syntax dialog is what I want, but the current implementation leaves something to be desired: you need to manually type in all the special characters that you want to add. This is tedious and error prone.

I was hoping for something more convenient, like a check box for "include all punctuation".

Perhaps better would be 2 radio buttons named "add/remove punctuation" which automatically populate/depopluate those chars from the list. The list itself would be retained so that you could manually edit it as desired