Files saved as UTF-8 revert to ANSI

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

gr8dane

Files saved as UTF-8 revert to ANSI

Post by gr8dane »

I've been using TextPad to create websites for over a decade (currently v.5.4.2), and until recently my sites had always used iso-8859-1 encoding. However, my most recent site uses UTF-8 encoding, and I need clarification on some issues related to that.

I discovered that I need to save my files as UTF-8, but it appears that they don't stay that way. If I close a file and reopen it, then View -> Document Properties, the Code Set will show as ANSI again. Does that mean it will no longer be saved as UTF-8 if I just click on the Save icon? Do I really have to choose UTF-8 in the dialog every time I save a file? I can't set UTF-8 as the default for all PHP files, since most of them are still ANSI. How can I resolve this issue?

Also, besides View -> Document Properties, is there any other way to tell whether or not a file is saved as UTF-8?
gr8dane

Post by gr8dane »

I discovered that TP will save files as UTF-8 if they contain more than two characters that need it. My work-around for files that only contain one or two such characters, is to place the following comment in the HTML:

Code: Select all

<!-- Force UTF-8 encoding by TextPad: æ Æ ø Ø å Å é -->
Now those files stay saved as UTF-8, but it's a real pain that I have to resort to these measures.