yml structured text files

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

fuzzbug

yml structured text files

Post by fuzzbug »

I play a game called Europa Universalis IV. One of the reasons I enjoy this game is because it is very modifiable.

The structured text files that translate the interface keywords into human language have a format and extension of yml.

I have no problem editing these files in Notepad++. However editing these files in TextPad does something to them that causes the game to ignore them. It has nothing to do with what I do - simply replacing one letter with the same letter and then saving is enough for the file to become invalid.

I think the problem has something to do with something technical (e.g. at the Unix/Windows order of things), but it seems to me that the real problem is that - whereas Notepad++ is saving the file with exactly the same technical settings as the file had when opened - TextPad is changing something it should not be changing.

I prefer to use TextPad. Can someone please tell me how to make TextPad not corrupt these .yml files.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Perhaps it needs a byte order mark (the two characters 0xFF and 0xFE) at the beginning of the file. Try selecting
Configure | Preferences | Document Classes | <Class> | Write Unicode and UTF-8 BOM
or
View | Document Properties | Preferences | Write Unicode and UTF-8 BOM
mzk

Post by mzk »

You might also check the tab settings for that file type.