RegexClear RegexSet (& MatchCase & MatchWord) w/ dlg

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jeffy

RegexClear RegexSet (& MatchCase & MatchWord) w/ dlg

Post by jeffy »

I can successfully set and unset the regex flag with the new Search>RegexSet and RegexClear commands (via key-commands I assigned to them), but I can only do this when the find-dialog is closed.

When the dialog is opened and I use these same key-commands, I'm only getting dings, as if I'm trying to type something but there's a modal dialog I haven't dismissed. I've tried this with different key-commands, too, with the same result.

Is this the intention of these new commands? Or have I uncovered a little bug?

Thanks!
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Does it depend on whether the Find dialog is focused?
Or does it depend only on it being opened?

(while it is focused, Alt-E is the key to toggle Regex)
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

They work as long as the find dialog is not focused on--even if the dialog is open. They do not work when the dialog is open and focused.

This is disappointing. I sort of feel like this is a bug. Or SHOULD be a bug, and it SHOULD work when it's open and focused.

It makes automating TextPad via scripts significantly more tricky. SETTING and UNSETTING a flag is very different than TOGGLING it. Scripts are obviously more reliable when they can explicitly set and unset. With toggling, I have to explicitly ask the user to verify the flag state before proceeding...since there's no way to programatically know.

Having to close the dialog to (reliably) change flags is also a hassle, because now, whatever text is selected in the document will be put into the find-what dialog when it's reopened.

---

Dear Helios: Please consider making these commands work when the find dialog is open and focused. Thank you.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

My guess is that when the dialog is focussed, Windows takes over and controls which key combinations are active - and these are (at least partially) defined by the underlined characters in the checkbox/button labels ...
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

The key commands only work in the document proper. Not in any dialogs. I wish the documentation was clearer, but this seems to be standard Windows thing.