TextPad crash running Java

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Stephen

TextPad crash running Java

Post by Stephen »

We have received several reports concerning Java, whereby TextPad crashes after a second attempt is made to run a program.

We have so far been unable to reproduce this behaviour. In order to try and discover the cause of the problem, we would be grateful if any person experiencing the same behaviour can provide us with the following information:

Which operating system, and service pack are you using?

Which version of the JDK is installed, and have you tried version 1.4?

Which standard Java samples can be used to demonstrate the problem?

Has the tool to run the Java application been modified in any way, such as, the options to Prompt for parameters, or Capture output being enabled?

Any other information that you think might be relevant.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Stephen MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
http://www.textpad.com
jstiers

Re: TextPad crash running Java

Post by jstiers »

We've had this problem before on several college computers. Students would open the .java file from their network drives, and those symptoms would occur. The problems were avoided by copying the files to a local hard-drive location and running the files from there.

Which operating system, and service pack are you using?
Microsoft Windows 2000, service pack 3.

Which version of the JDK is installed, and have you tried version 1.4?
1.4.1_01

Which standard Java samples can be used to demonstrate the problem?
Every .java file exhibited these symptoms.

Has the tool to run the Java application been modified in any way, such as, the options to Prompt for parameters, or Capture output being enabled?
Capture output was only enabled in the Compile Java tool.
Kiwi6469

Crash when running Java program

Post by Kiwi6469 »

I am seeing frequent crashes, while running a Java program, always immediately after compiling.

I have compile and run both on a hot key, which means I can initiate the run very quickly after compile, and it's *always* when I run a program hard on the heels of a compile. The tool completion beep will still be playing as I hit run.

I have had it happen for a variety of classes/programs.

I have not tried 1.4 for either running or compiling.

Output is being capture by both compile and run to the tool output window.

TextPad 7.0.4, 32 bit
Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, Service Pack 1
Java Compile Version: 1.5.0_18
Java Runtime Version: Java 1.7.0_21

This is becoming incredibly annoying, as I often have dozens of files open from widely disparate directories and TextPad only save MRUs on exit (which doesn't happen when it crashes). It should save MRUs immediately when they are changed.
Kiwi6469

Crash when running Java program

Post by Kiwi6469 »

One final detail, it is not the second time I run a Java program. I could often have run programs dozens, even hundreds of times in the particular instance of TextPad. The consistent factor seems to be trying to run hard on the heels of another tool (the compiler) finishing.