Search Results Save and Restore after System Reboot

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Aeneas

Search Results Save and Restore after System Reboot

Post by Aeneas »

Some search results of large systems can take hours to generate.
This program should be able to save the results anthen restore them after reboot.
Currently, the text in the search results can be saved, and then
loaded later as a file, but the lines in that open file are not linkable
to the search result line \dirpath\file:line_number .
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Use a workspace. The search results window will be saved in the workspace.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

ben_josephs wrote:Use a workspace. The search results window will be saved in the workspace.
I will try this.
However, I would suspect that only one search is saved, per workspace.
Often several search results through 100,000's of source code files, in separate instances of this program, are on the desktop being referenced by the developer concurrently.
After the reboot, the developer needs to be able to open separate
instances of this program, tell each to Open Search Results... identifying different pathnames to different, but related, search result store files.
Last edited by Aeneas on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Save each instance of the editor as a separate workspace. If the search results window is open when you save a workspace it will be open, with its contents intact, when you reopen the workspace. The search results are stored in the workspace file; you don't have to find them yourself.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

ben_josephs wrote:Save each instance of the editor as a separate workspace. If the search results window is open when you save a workspace it will be open, with its contents intact, when you reopen the workspace. The search results are stored in the workspace file; you don't have to find them yourself.
Sounds like a workable workaround.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Perhaps I have misunderstood your requirements, but it seems to me that this is a solution that satisfies those requiremnets, not a work-around to a deficiency of TextPad.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

ben_josephs wrote:Perhaps I have misunderstood your requirements, but it seems to me that this is a solution that satisfies those requirements, not a work-around to a deficiency of TextPad.
Workspace normally defines files in a project, location of Makefiles, and other build sensitive elements.
Since the Textpad workspace does not involve these build elements, this idea should work without causing a clash of build arguments.
In some IDEs, the workspace is the directory where the project definition files (i.e. here the non-build .tws) are stored.
This actually would be useful, rather than scattering numerous .tws files by default in particular sub-directories within maybe 100,000 source code files of a total project, where each block of files of a sub-project resides.

By the way, a separate question:
how does the user clear the program memorized user-defined defaults in the Find_In_Files/In_Folder drop-down ?
And are these defaults stored and restored in the .tws workspace file ?