Help! Lost all settings

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

terrypin

Help! Lost all settings

Post by terrypin »

I'm a bit desperate. After a decade or three of using TextPad, losing all my familiar settings has made me very uncomfortable! (Not sure how; directly followed a messy roll-back of my Nvidia graphics driver on this XP PC.)

Where are the settings stored please? I have pretty good backup routines (nightly, weekly, fortnightly) so if someone can tell me a file(s) or folder to replace then that might fix it. I tried a search for textpad.ini but drew a blank. Nor does config.xml seem to apply to this ancient version that I've grown so comfortable with:

TextPad 4.7.3 : 32-bit Edition

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
robertcollier4

Post by robertcollier4 »

Not sure for your older version, Textpad 4, but this is where you might find them:
C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Helios\

Also search hard drive for files:
ConfigState.xml
GUIState.xml
custom.bnd

You can also try searching your hard drive for "Helios".
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Robert.

By some happy stroke of fortune the problem seemed to magically correct itself. One minute I had unfamiliar fonts, no recent files, none of my 20 odd macros, etc, and the next they were back!

In the unlikely event that anyone else ends up here with the same question about this very old version, I had a prompt response from Keith. Turns out the settings for version 4.7 of TextPad are stored in the Windows registry,
under this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 4

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK