side by side split without syncronized scrolling?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Citrus

side by side split without syncronized scrolling?

Post by Citrus »

Is there a way to use 'Window:split' to make two views, side by side, of the same file but not sychronize the scrolling of them? I can split it into 4, then drag the middle divider down to make just 2, but they are scroll sychronized, so they always display the same section of the file.

The "Sychronize Scrolling" command, and the indicator "Sync" in the status bar appear from the Help to only apply to viewing multiple documents, not two views of the same document. At any rate, toggling Sync has no effect on a split document.

My task is to compare two long SQL subqueries which are repeated with slight differences within the same much bigger query. I want to view the 1st version side by side with the 2nd, within the same file.

(I'm using TextPad 5.4.2; unfortunately, I can't quickly upgrade, but if it's availble in 6.2, that might help me justify the time to get permission to aquire an upgrade.)

Any ideas?
DAvid
ak47wong

Re: side by side split without syncronized scrolling?

Post by ak47wong »

Citrus wrote:Is there a way to use 'Window:split' to make two views, side by side, of the same file but not sychronize the scrolling of them?
Unfortunately not.
My task is to compare two long SQL subqueries which are repeated with slight differences within the same much bigger query. I want to view the 1st version side by side with the 2nd, within the same file.
The only way I can think of to do that is to make a temporary copy of the file, open it as a separate document and then click Window > Tile Vertically.
(I'm using TextPad 5.4.2; unfortunately, I can't quickly upgrade, but if it's availble in 6.2, that might help me justify the time to get permission to aquire an upgrade.)
Don't bother; the scrolling behaviour hasn't changed.
rshouts

Post by rshouts »

What is the point of even having side-by-side split of a single document if the two sides can't be scrolled independently? It's a useless feature without independent scrolling.
Citrus

Re: side by side split without syncronized scrolling?

Post by Citrus »

Thanks for your response, ak47wong.
DAvid
MBaraz

Post by MBaraz »

Exactly! +1
rshouts wrote:What is the point of even having side-by-side split of a single document if the two sides can't be scrolled independently? It's a useless feature without independent scrolling.