TextPad 6.1.3 Check for Update

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

nikulin

TextPad 6.1.3 Check for Update

Post by nikulin »

Hi community,

I am packaging TextPad for deployment in our company and have a few questions related to updating.

TextPad 6.1.3 introduced the Help -> Check for Updates Button. Can we disable this button? Does TextPad check for updates periodically or only if the user clicks check for updates? If it checks automatically, can we disable this?

Thanks for your feedback.

regards,
Nik
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

As far as I can tell, TextPad only checks for updates when you click the Check for Updates menu command. You can remove the menu command as follows:

1. Close TextPad.

2. Locate the following file:
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Helios\TextPad\6\GUIState.xml
On Windows Vista or later: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\6\GUIState.xml

3. Make a backup of the file.

4. Open the file in Notepad or another editor other than TextPad.

5. Locate the following line:
<Control Class="CGUICmdMenu" Id="33214" Caption="&amp;Check for Updates..."/>

6. Either comment out the line by changing it to the following, or if you prefer you can delete the line entirely.
<!--Control Class="CGUICmdMenu" Id="33214" Caption="&amp;Check for Updates..."/-->

Note that this is all undocumented, so it may not work in future updates. Follow these steps at your own risk.
nikulin

Post by nikulin »

Hi,
Thanks for the hint. I was able to remove the menu items now.

In my GUIState.xml the mentioned entry

Code: Select all

<Control Class="CGUICmdMenu" Id="33214" Caption="&amp;Check for Updates..."/>
was missing. My config file had the size of 8KB initially. After I moved my mouse through all menus horizontally (File, Edit,Search,...) and closed TextPad, all settings got written to the file and it grew to ~80KB (german) e.g ~73KB (english). This could be a bug in TextPad.

Also I noticed that the config file for the german GUI settings is GUIState-0700.xml.

During testing, I faced another error: The German installation package is missing the English helpfile "TxPadEng.chm". If the user switches to English, the help won't work. Manually copying the file from the english package to the TextPad\system folder worked.

regards,
Nik
woho

Post by woho »

Yes it's annoying that there is no help in English available in the German (or all 'foreign' languages ?) version:

http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php?t=10794