Problem with File Names having Spaces

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

tlbaxter

Problem with File Names having Spaces

Post by tlbaxter »

Hello,

I've been using TP for many years and only after I "upgraded" to v6.1.3 did I start having this problem. I'm using Win 7.

Here's a simple scenario. I right-click on the desktop and select New | Text Document. A new file named, "New Text Document.txt" appears on my desktop.

I should mention I have associated TP with all *.txt files.

Now, when I double-click the "New Text Document.txt" file on my desktop, TP opens and prompts me: "OK to create C:\Users\tlbaxter\Desktop\New". I click the No button. Then I'm prompted again: "OK to create C:\Users\tlbaxter\Desktop\Text". Again, I click No. Then I am prompted yet again: "OK to create C:\Users\tlbaxter\Desktop\Document". I click No and TP opens but there is no blank document.

For some reason, TP seems to be treating each space in the file name as a delimiter, rather than as part of the file name. This mean TP is broke when I double-click a file with embedded spaces in the name.

Does anyone know how to fix this nasty behavior? I never saw this in the pre-6.x releases.

Thanks much.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

you can cure the symptoms by
Configure -> Preferences -> Allow Multiple Files on Command line

I don't know a way to cure the source of the problem (that Windows does not quote the file name, or, that Windows creates a file name with spaces in the name while it is not able to properly handle file names with spaces by quoting them) or the root cause (that file names with spaces are allowed ...)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just to add clarity to the previous post, you must clear the checkbox for the workaround to function.

Configure -> Preferences -> Allow Multiple Files on Command line