Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jry

Quick fix to add to context menu in x64

Post by jry »

With TextPad open:

Configure/Preferences/General
Uncheck Context Menu

Close TextPad.

This removes any entries created by TextPad.

Create a REG file with the following information:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with TextPad]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with TextPad\command]
@="TextPad.exe %1"

Double-clicking the REG file will add the context menu entry "Open with TextPad" Most files you right click will give you the option to "Open with TextPad".

IMPORTANT: Uninstalling TextPad will not remove the "added" context entry. You must create an UNDO REG file to remove the entries.

Undo REG File:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with TextPad]

This is modified from information posted on http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... all-files/
pbristow

TextPad hangs for ~50 seconds before starting

Post by pbristow »

Thanks to jry for this.

I confirm that the fix suggested works with Windows 7 32 bit (updated 16 feb 12) using this page directly:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... all-files/

(One could also entitle the key just "TextPad".)

This also is nicer in that it places the context menu item nearer the top of the list, often just what you want.

Does any guru know why the previous shellex version fails?
Paul A. Bristow
e1375

TEXTPAD PEOPLE WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!

Post by e1375 »

I wonder if there will ever be a response from the TextPad people. Are they BLIND or DEAF or IRRESPONSIBLE?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nickster46

Open as Send TO

Post by Nickster46 »

I too had a problem with Textpad being slow to open. I discovered 2 things. First it appears that files that have Textpad as their default application open fast. Secondly if you put TextPad on the Send To list then right click on the file, go to Send To and select Textpad the the file opens fast.

You can add a shortcut to the Send To menu by typing in SHELL:SENDTO from the start menu. :D
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

I also have this problem. The regedit fix is fast and works well if I'm opening one file from the context menu, but for two or more files it opens each in a separate window. The official TextPad context menu selection opens multiple files correctly in a single TexPad window, but it takes way too long. I have this problem on both 5.42 and 6.13. It would be nice if Helios provided a robust bug fix for this problem.
JonathanPDX

TextPad 6.1.3 Opening Slowly

Post by JonathanPDX »

I had the same problem. It went away when I turned off Explorer.

VIEW > EXPLORER

I have 7 HDD (2 external) and when Explorer is off, TP works quickly.

When Explorer is on, I have the long delay.

Perhaps it is how TP calls the Explorer content.