typing an apostrophe [’]

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

gbFalcon

typing an apostrophe [’]

Post by gbFalcon »

The Alt-keypad code Alt-0146 gives me Æ within TextPad instead of the expected apostrophe character. (Any idea why?)

I would like to set up a macro that will insert these at a keystroke, but being unable to enter them at the keyboard is a serious snag.

Any suggestions?

I currently copy/paste from the Windows CharacterMap. But as I use quotes a lot, this quickly gets frustrating. The same problem occurs with [“] and [�] too.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Are you using a DOS font? Try changing the font to Courier New, for instance.

I hope this helps.
gbFalcon

Post by gbFalcon »

bbadmin wrote:Are you using a DOS font? Try changing the font to Courier New, for instance..
Thanks for the quick reply. I am already using Courier New. The Alt codes I get are a subset of http://www.alt-codes.net/ (the ones that are compatible with UTF-8 Latin-1, I guess).

But I also get Alt-0146 as Æ on Thunderbird, so I suspect it isn't a TextPad issue. I'd still like to be able to type a proper apostrophe, though.
gbFalcon

Windows keyboard

Post by gbFalcon »

I have managed to get around the Alt-number keyboard problem on Windows using the Microsoft keyboard editor from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=22339.

Simple instructions with lots of pictures at http://fsymbols.com/keyboard/windows/layouts/

The end result: Now Ctrl-` produces [‘] and Ctrl-' gives [’].
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I am able to type ALT-0145 and ALT-0146 to get apostrophes in TP.

You could record a Macro for ALT-0145 and ALT-146, then assign a shortcut key to each in TP.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
gbFalcon

Post by gbFalcon »

kengrubb wrote:I am able to type ALT-0145 and ALT-0146 to get apostrophes in TP.

You could record a Macro for ALT-0145 and ALT-146, then assign a shortcut key to each in TP.
Indeed, that was what I wanted to do. Unfortunately there is something about my setup which makes those ALT-numbers give different glyphs. :(

I suspected it might be the United Kingdom Windows setup, but even changing to US English had no effect. Thanks for the thought, though. :)
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

Are you typing the zero? Because ALT-145 and ALT-0145 produce two different characters.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
gbFalcon

Post by gbFalcon »

kengrubb wrote:Are you typing the zero? Because ALT-145 and ALT-0145 produce two different characters.
Yes, I know they usually should, but on my keyboard, this range of numbers don't. Just wierd, I guess :roll:
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

It's not a laptop, is it?
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
gbFalcon

Post by gbFalcon »

it is indeed. but with a separate numeric keypad